E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Latest Nav CD

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Where can you buy the latest Nav CD. I have a 2006 e60 (build date July 05) and sometimes it dosen't have the latest info. Thanks.

P.S. How much does it cost and is it worth it?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by juventus' post='248431' date='Mar 2 2006, 06:36 AM
Where can you buy the latest Nav CD. I have a 2006 e60 (build date July 05) and sometimes it dosen't have the latest info. Thanks.

According to the NavTeq website, the latest release DVD is now 2006-2. My car came with 2005-2 when delivered in December. It is available from either NavTeq or your (any) BMW dealer. Don't know cost.
Probably around $200. It will NEVER have totally complete or current info. Whether or not it is worth updating is an unknown question. Depends how much you use it and how far afield you travel.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='248471' date='Mar 2 2006, 07:10 AM
According to the NavTeq website, the latest release DVD is now 2006-2. My car came with 2005-2 when delivered in December. It is available from either NavTeq or your (any) BMW dealer. Don't know cost.
Probably around $200. It will NEVER have totally complete or current info. Whether or not it is worth updating is an unknown question. Depends how much you use it and how far afield you travel.
Per NavTeq - 2006-2 was released a few weeks ago. Cost from them is $199 + shipping and sales tax.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by juventus' post='248431' date='Mar 2 2006, 06:36 AM

If the info or streets are recently changed, don't count on the new DVD will make the change.
Maybe you want to check with someone on the forum who are using the lastest Nav DVD.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW, 535d

i find this

http://www.navteq.com/ProductFinder?Langua...&path=mapupdate
Old 03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Go on e-bay

My car came with 2004-2. Since upgraded to 2005-1 ( 20 Euro), 2005-2 (10 GBP), now en route 2006-1 (40 GBP)
So far had one ilegal clone, but got my money back after a bit of a push. Rest have been the real mcoy

Its a rip off the BMW price
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

I still don't understand why one that already has the original nav dvd, has to pay the whole sum of money again for the updated version. It's not like your getting a whole smth else, only minor updates. Right? It should be free, if one can attest that it has the original dvd, and a receipt or smth. Or not free but way less the integral price.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='248795' date='Mar 2 2006, 02:31 PM
I still don't understand why one that already has the original nav dvd, has to pay the whole sum of money again for the updated version. It's not like your getting a whole smth else, only minor updates. Right? It should be free, if one can attest that it has the original dvd, and a receipt or smth. Or not free but way less the integral price.
You are making way too much sense
Old 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='248795' date='Mar 2 2006, 02:31 PM
It is NavTeq's and car dealer's way of obtaining additional revenue. NavTeq uses some of this revenue to update the millions of POIs and navigation details on the DVD. BMW and other car dealers use their portion of the revenue to pad their bottom line.

I just got my version 2006-2 at my dealer. I was curious if they had updated an incorrect instruction for getting onto a major freeway near me. The interchange was revised in a huge project several years ago in which, among other things, the route onto the freeway was altered from being a left-hand turn on a green arrow to a right-hand turn. I have had four cars since 2004 that all used NavTeq data for their Nav Systems. All of them have not included this change in freeway access. On the way home from the dealer I tried the freeway entry instructions and they still do not have it correct. Makes me wonder what else they have not corrected for my $199 + tax. Next I will try POIs. I looked for a restaurant in the next city a month ago or so and was directed to a spot where ther was a large sign in front of what used to be this retaurtant saying the building was available for lease. When I was at another location of the same restaurant chain, I asked about the first location and was told it had been closed for over a year.

As good as navigation systems are, they cannot really keep current with all the changes that occur in POIs and roadways across all of the USA. One could probably use the original disc for four or more years with minimal misdirection. Inasmuch as no list of updated data is included, you have no way to know what is different from one DVD version to the next.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='248886' date='Mar 2 2006, 08:05 PM
It is NavTeq's and car dealer's way of obtaining additional revenue. NavTeq uses some of this revenue to update the millions of POIs and navigation details on the DVD. BMW and other car dealers use their portion of the revenue to pad their bottom line.

I just got my version 2006-2 at my dealer. I was curious if they had updated an incorrect instruction for getting onto a major freeway near me. The interchange was revised in a huge project several years ago in which, among other things, the route onto the freeway was altered from being a left-hand turn on a green arrow to a right-hand turn. I have had four cars since 2004 that all used NavTeq data for their Nav Systems. All of them have not included this change in freeway access. On the way home from the dealer I tried the freeway entry instructions and they still do not have it correct. Makes me wonder what else they have not corrected for my $199 + tax. Next I will try POIs. I looked for a restaurant in the next city a month ago or so and was directed to a spot where ther was a large sign in front of what used to be this retaurtant saying the building was available for lease. When I was at another location of the same restaurant chain, I asked about the first location and was told it had been closed for over a year.

As good as navigation systems are, they cannot really keep current with all the changes that occur in POIs and roadways across all of the USA. One could probably use the original disc for four or more years with minimal misdirection. Inasmuch as no list of updated data is included, you have no way to know what is different from one DVD version to the next.
I believe there is a mechanism porvided by NavTeq to submit items you know to be in error or other changes. I have never done so but intend to make an effort since I found some serioius issues recently.

Quick Reply: Latest Nav CD