E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Korean E-60 Sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='652516' date='Aug 23 2008, 12:15 PM
I hear ya on the aftermarket modulars... damn, I've gone thru a nice pair of HRE's and BBS GT-RS among others.... It's a waste of money seeing how our roads are really bad. My wife keeps telling me if I'm gonna drive that slow and careful, what's the point of driving a BMW? I think she's got a point--heheh.. With these BBS's (the ones in my signature), I now drive like a madman and no problems whatsoever going over potholes at 100kph.. hahaha....

So that's why I had thought of going 166 and bought them from Quad_M..... Hehehhe
But now you are thinking of modulars again! But I think the AIR ll CYs are cast modular and not forged. They'll be a bit stronger. The prices of German or Italian forged modulars in Korea are ridiculous. I'll probably have to stick to the 167 Ms.

Have you heard of a Japanese wheel called NEEZ? Forged mono-block wheels~

http://neezinternational.com/product02.html

Have a look and let me know what you think of the Valcan...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='652685' date='Aug 23 2008, 06:02 PM
But now you are thinking of modulars again! But I think the AIR ll CYs are cast modular and not forged. They'll be a bit stronger. The prices of German or Italian forged modulars in Korea are ridiculous. I'll probably have to stick to the 167 Ms.

Have you heard of a Japanese wheel called NEEZ? Forged mono-block wheels~

http://neezinternational.com/product02.html

Have a look and let me know what you think of the Valcan...
Yeah, I somehow gravitate towards modulars--what's wrong with me?!!

I think AIR II CY's aren't really attracting my attention after seeing them in person a few times -- a bit on the bling side it seems--even though it isn't. Also, the paint job on the two sets I saw had inperfections. Some of the lines were not that straight and there was spatter marks where the spokes met the rims in a few places....

Valcan looks cool but between the two, I'd take the 167's. Seems a bit simple for my tastes.. heheheh
Old 08-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='652695' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I somehow gravitate towards modulars--what's wrong with me?!!

I think AIR II CY's aren't really attracting my attention after seeing them in person a few times -- a bit on the bling side it seems--even though it isn't. Also, the paint job on the two sets I saw had inperfections. Some of the lines were not that straight and there was spatter marks where the spokes met the rims in a few places....

Valcan looks cool but between the two, I'd take the 167's. Seems a bit simple for my tastes.. heheheh
It's surprising to hear that BBS wheels would have such imperfections! BBS has always been known for their impeccable finishes. So what are you considering now? BBS LMs?

The NEEZ Valcans are very simple due to the fact they are forged mono-blocks and the forging process that NEEZ uses. Apparently, the wheels are incredibly strong and light. Mind you, NEEZ wheels aren't cheap either. 19"s are about US$1500 a piece. Yikes!

I think I'll just stick to the 167 M wheels.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='652696' date='Aug 23 2008, 07:16 PM
It's surprising to hear that BBS wheels would have such imperfections! BBS has always been known for their impeccable finishes. So what are you considering now? BBS LMs?

The NEEZ Valcans are very simple due to the fact they are forged mono-blocks and the forging process that NEEZ uses. Apparently, the wheels are incredibly strong and light. Mind you, NEEZ wheels aren't cheap either. 19"s are about US$1500 a piece. Yikes!

I think I'll just stick to the 167 M wheels.
Yeah, the BBS AIR II CY surprised me in this regard---- the dealer offered to knock a few bucks off but.... Man, I dunno anymore.

I'm also thinking maybe I should just get a set of 20" modulars that are cheap and look the the same as HRE/DPE/etc and if they bend, change that rim. And use these on certain weekends, etc.

And of course, keep my originals for when I wanna get around FAST! heheehehh

Cuz I just don't see the point of getting 19-20" and throwing away 8-10 grand every few months. My friend's HRE... man, he drives like 25kph and the roads and still manages to bend his rims every few months ending up trying to repair them all the time. He presently have them on sale on Taiwan's ebay since they now leak air.... poor sucker who buys em...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:48 AM
Senior Members

OKOK... maybe it's not throwing away 8-10k every few months since the tires are reusable but still.... man, those modular rims are NOT built for roads in Seoul, Taipei, etc.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='652698' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the BBS AIR II CY surprised me in this regard---- the dealer offered to knock a few bucks off but.... Man, I dunno anymore.

I'm also thinking maybe I should just get a set of 20" modulars that are cheap and look the the same as HRE/DPE/etc and if they bend, change that rim. And use these on certain weekends, etc.

And of course, keep my originals for when I wanna get around FAST! heheehehh

Cuz I just don't see the point of getting 19-20" and throwing away 8-10 grand every few months. My friend's HRE... man, he drives like 25kph and the roads and still manages to bend his rims every few months ending up trying to repair them all the time. He presently have them on sale on Taiwan's ebay since they now leak air.... poor sucker who buys em...
I really feel for your friend. I know what it's like to bend expensive wheels! Constantly! It doesn't take much to bend forged modular wheels. As for me, this time around, I'm now fairly set in getting the 167 Ms... Everyone on the forum using the OEM 167 Ms only have really good things to say about it. Same goes for the 166 Ms.

Fixing bent or cracked wheels is like a band-aid solution. The repaired portion is always weaker than the rest of the wheel, so it ends up bending/cracking in the same place again or it leaks air... I'm beginning to think, unless you live in a region where the roads are always baby bottom smooth, it's a waste of money getting really expensive forged modular wheels.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='652700' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:48 PM
OKOK... maybe it's not throwing away 8-10k every few months since the tires are reusable but still.... man, those modular rims are NOT built for roads in Seoul, Taipei, etc.
But people still get them because modular wheels are really sexy! And it's the wheel shops that make a killing!

There is a Japanese wheel company called Inter-tech that custom makes wheels. The thing about this company is that you can replace wheel components like the rim and disc. The rim if you bend or crack it and the disc if you want a different design or color. Their wheels in Korea are about US$1300 a piece for 19"s... and people who use these wheels in Korea say that they are really strong.

http://www.intertech-jp.com/product01.html

Have a look~
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='652700' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:48 PM
OKOK... maybe it's not throwing away 8-10k every few months since the tires are reusable but still....
If you hit a pothole/bump really hard, you usually end up breaking the side wall of low profile tires. So no all the tires are reusable!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

In trying to keep this sub-forum popular, I've managed to drive my daily posts number to over 10! Could I be on my way to becoming the Korean 'pingu'???
Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='652706' date='Aug 23 2008, 07:57 PM
In trying to keep this sub-forum popular, I've managed to drive my daily posts number to over 10! Could I be on my way to becoming the Korean 'pingu'???
Hehehe, you're on the way!

Quick Reply: Korean E-60 Sub-Forum