E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

knocking from the engine (2006 530i)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys
I have 2006 530i without warranty. when i start my car i hear this knocking sound from the engine especially at the idle. however when i accelerate it diasapear but when i park it comes back on again?
is it normal for these cars or theres something wrong?
i just purchased the car so dont know much about it.
Also it doesnt have dip stick . is there any other way to check oil level. I changed oil and i put back around 6.9L of oil. when i check service on idrive. engine oil has green ok on it and also says change oil at 13000miles
please help
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of oil you use?

Ticking sounds have long been debated on all BMW forums. What your explaining is pretty typical. Do all BMW have it, no, but a lot do and BMW's general stance is its normal. Really comes down to how loud it is and does it stay present through out the rev range. If you do a search you'll find lots of info on this.

P.S.: I'm not sure I've ever heard a BMW motor(except V12) that have been smooth as butter. Hard to explain but they all seem to have that typical BMW sound. But they all rev perfectly and flawlessly all the way up to redline.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If it's knocking, you may want to try a higher quality fuel such as Shell or Chevron. Also, make sure you are using the correct octane of at least 91.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

My car has 60K on it and once in a while it sounds like it has a valve tap. This usually scares the crap out of me but it goes away and I forget about it. I just had the oil changed and had it checked over - all is good. Keep in mind that cars make funky sounds when its cold out too.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my_galaxy' post='1096208' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:55 AM
guys
I have 2006 530i without warranty. when i start my car i hear this knocking sound from the engine especially at the idle. however when i accelerate it diasapear but when i park it comes back on again?
is it normal for these cars or theres something wrong?
i just purchased the car so dont know much about it.
Also it doesnt have dip stick . is there any other way to check oil level. I changed oil and i put back around 6.9L of oil. when i check service on idrive. engine oil has green ok on it and also says change oil at 13000miles
please help

Bad spark plugs.

Do a few things.

1) Replace the spark plugs with new NGK Iridium plugs. Might cost you about $80 for the plugs and $40 labor at a shop.
2) Clean your fuel injectors with the BMW fuel injector service at a dealer. Might cost you $140 tops.
3) Change your oil if you haven't.
4) Check the air filter, see if any shit is in the air box. Leaves, etc. See if its filthy or not.
5) Only use the best gas.
6) Check if you have leaking gaskets.

Pretty sure if you do those steps your knocking will cease.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Members

There is a service bulletin about this noise. Ask the dealer to perform SIB 110907 which is replacing the exhaust camshaft HVA lifters.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Members

is it knocking or more like a ticking/tapping noise? loud knocking at idle would normally be associated with engine damage, which I don't think is your issue. Light ticking/tapping at idle is usually the sound of the fuel injectors cycling on and off. If you are experiencing knocking while driving, more commonly known as pinging, then you should try switching to a higher quality brand of gasoline. severe knocking will also cause the check engine light to come on as knock is monitored by knock sensors mounted to the side of the engine. don't start throwing parts at the car like others may suggest as it will only empty your wallet and cause you aggravation. i also see you just recently purchased the car, do you know the history of it? if you could provide a sound clip, that would be a big help in determining the noise.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

Thanks guys
i really appreciate your help. well the car has only 23000 kms. i beleive i did the first oil change. however car doesnt have warranty on it (rebuilt) before the clicking noise was very soft. but when i started yesterday it would really stick out from other noises. I drove around the block it disapear at high rpm but comes back at idle. the only thing i am scare of is engine damage. at the moment i am storing this car not driving around. the fuel tank is in reserve right now can that cause the knocking as wel?

-MY main concern is that can it be caused by putting less oil or too much oil? however i only added 6.9l as per my knowledge
however when i goto idrive it only says that greed OK and have your oil change at 21000km since i didnt reset that.
-WOULD i drive tell me if i put less or over engine oil? siince it doesnt have dipstick which really sux?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Members

Car has been sitting around for almost 2 years
-I would appreciate more suggestions
and also I would let you know as soon i cure the problem
thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my_galaxy' post='1096754' date='Jan 24 2010, 12:48 PM
Car has been sitting around for almost 2 years
-I would appreciate more suggestions
and also I would let you know as soon i cure the problem
thanks
It could be the a/c compressor since it's been sittin for a while if you have a stethoscope or u can use long screw driver put it up against the compressor and listen to it My car has the same symptoms as yours at idle it knocks/rattle almost sounds like a diesel as soon as i put my foot on the accelerator it dissapears then comes right back at first i thought it was coming from the engine it's more noticable with the hood closed then open

Quick Reply: knocking from the engine (2006 530i)