E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Kinda stumped. Any advice would be great. (electrical)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I think its that bumper causing all of your issues...! Ha, I know when I replaced my battery a couple years ago I researched it quite well. Often when I called carious places to ask about a replacement they always said they had it but when I got there it was not quite the same. Always the CCA and CA were a little different. Even when I went to AZ to get it, they said the same thing, or their system did. I finally asked the counter person to see if they had a battery with these exact specs. He left and returned with the battery, install it and every thing has been ok since.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I think its that bumper causing all of your issues...! Ha, I know when I replaced my battery a couple years ago I researched it quite well. Often when I called carious places to ask about a replacement they always said they had it but when I got there it was not quite the same. Always the CCA and CA were a little different. Even when I went to AZ to get it, they said the same thing, or their system did. I finally asked the counter person to see if they had a battery with these exact specs. He left and returned with the battery, install it and every thing has been ok since.
Yea I made sure everything was to spec as well. Thanks

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Just a warning......... if that voltage runs(spikes ) over 14.8 during running the car your regulator needs to be replaced as any voltage exceeding the 14.8 figure will damage your new AGM battery as well.
Mine was spiking over 15 volts especially in cold weather and caused all kinds of sh%t even screwed up the software over time and had to reprogram whole car.
Good to know thank you. At the top of your head do you remember how much the voltage regulator cost? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Just get one locally man.

There are less than $10 usually.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards alternator too. That would explain why it keeps blowing diode per BimmerFan's info as well.
Lazy .ordered it last night Should be here on Monday. we'll see

Last edited by devildawg712; 08-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by devildawg712
yup AGM. Thanks for the reply tho.
Are you 100% sure your car was reprogrammed at some point for accepting an AGM battery?? YOu car originall had to have come with a white FLA battery. Just making sure...Also did you try charging the battery from a trickle charger and see if it works better?? Try that.

The other thing you could look into is Steering Angle Sensor.. it might need to be reset or replaced..
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by Maini
Are you 100% sure your car was reprogrammed at some point for accepting an AGM battery?? YOu car originall had to have come with a white FLA battery. Just making sure...Also did you try charging the battery from a trickle charger and see if it works better?? Try that.

The other thing you could look into is Steering Angle Sensor.. it might need to be reset or replaced..
I'm only as sure as Simon is as he did my programming. Hasn't done me wrong yet so Im sure its to spec. And yes it did come with a white battery. I replaced it unnecessarily back in 08 but the battery was for free form BMW cuz my buddy was an SA there. Nah, I haven't tried using a trickle mainly cuz its new. As in 1 month new. I think I'm going to monitor the voltage as the others have mentioned and take it from there. Thanks for the input.

As far as the steering wheel sensor, I hadn't even thought of that. Like i said tho. it happens literally like clockwork after having driven like 20 plus miles. It makes a lot of sense to me that these two fault codes appear as the first ones as the system starts to regulate itself by cutting out the lesser priority items first if electrical issues are involved so I'm really hoping it's just the stupid alternator. 10 years for an alternator seems about right I guess.

Thanks again tho

Last edited by devildawg712; 08-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Maini

+1...I had this issue before. And notice if the error comes up right when you turn the wheel and not in straight roads (unless you are changing lanes).
Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I am positive that the battery reg went through. Modified it via CAS with NCSExpert and coded via Tool32 and verified.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: Na

Nah… not yet at least. lol But good to know. There was one time a while back that i turned the key and nothing happened but just turned again and started right up. i'll keep this in mind tho. thanks brotha
Yea bro, that's how my car was. Few months ago it didnt started and just time after time it would be a few minutes until it starts. I'd bet $20 it's your "integrated power supply" 20 minute fix. I just bought my part from eBay. Haven't had a issue the past 2 days. $20 it fixes it! Haha

Last edited by Stanley Siringoringo; 08-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Yea I made sure everything was to spec as well. Thanks

Good to know thank you. At the top of your head do you remember how much the voltage regulator cost? Thanks in advance.

Lazy .ordered it last night Should be here on Monday. we'll see
Got mine off eBay for between 50-75 bucks, not $10...LOL BUT if you are DIY...be prepared...it's the worst car job I have done in 50 years....https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...-102455/page3/

I understand why dealer charges so much for this ........
Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 AM
New Members

I know exactly what your fix is. You got to many mods in your headlights. You need to go back to stock. I'll help you. Lets swap headlight assemblies with my stock ones. Your problems will go away. LOL
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW Alpina B5 -05

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I am positive that the battery reg went through. Modified it via CAS with NCSExpert and coded via Tool32 and verified.
Via CAS? I hope you didn't change CAS manually right?

Quick Reply: Kinda stumped. Any advice would be great. (electrical)