E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key user profiles, maybe a daft question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to use my spare key to return to the office today, i was worried that it might discharge and need recoded.

When I left my home i noticed the throttle was alot more responsive and the car pulled very well through all the gears, now normally my car is really quick but this felt like someone had remapped it while i wasnt looking . Does the user profile also contain info about driving styles? I know the auto box does hence the occasional urge to reset it. The car felt amazing to drive both to work and home at night, maybe the stig owned my car previously and i was using his key .
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='890682' date='May 26 2009, 02:56 PM
I decided to use my spare key to return to the office today, i was worried that it might discharge and need recoded.

When I left my home i noticed the throttle was alot more responsive and the car pulled very well through all the gears, now normally my car is really quick but this felt like someone had remapped it while i wasnt looking . Does the user profile also contain info about driving styles? I know the auto box does hence the occasional urge to reset it. The car felt amazing to drive both to work and home at night, maybe the stig owned my car previously and i was using his key .
I don't think so, but did previous performance return when you went back to the primary key?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

I'm sure the key only stores basic data, like entertainment setting, seat position, and stuff like that on the I-drive...
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

The Stig! Anyway, I think Lee is correct. The key holds basic seat position, volume settings, etc. information. At least from my my experience, that's all I noticed changing when I used my second key to charge it up a few months ago.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Thinking about this question, it would make sense. The transmission is adaptive - but adaptive to who? Does it average out the driving styles into some sort of a happy medium, or is it intelligent enough to store profiles of drivers based on key? It wouldn't be difficult for BMW to have engineered such a feature into the cars, considering everything else the key remembers. Hmmm, I wonder
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='890874' date='May 26 2009, 06:34 PM
Thinking about this question, it would make sense. The transmission is adaptive - but adaptive to who? Does it average out the driving styles into some sort of a happy medium, or is it intelligent enough to store profiles of drivers based on key? It wouldn't be difficult for BMW to have engineered such a feature into the cars, considering everything else the key remembers. Hmmm, I wonder
i think this is/would be pretty cool, considering BMWs are "Drivers Cars". HOWEVER, since they are marketed as drivers cars for the enthusiast, and many enthusiasts have a counter part that could care less about performance, also known as a wife or girlfriend, wouldnt BMW advertise this feature when referencing the memory settings of the key. Sorry about the Wife/Girlfriend not being an enthusiast AWG, Val, Mel, whichever other female bmw enthusiasts that might offend. there are exceptions to everything
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='890784' date='May 26 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think so, but did previous performance return when you went back to the primary key?
That would be too sensible, i have been driving with the other key since. I did discover a neat way to stay in the power band when accelerating.

Basically while accelerating when i reach just over 4K rpm i take my foot off the accelerator slightly then put it down again, this makes the car change up a gear and you are able to maintain being in the powerband, i think it feel like a more constant feeling of acceleration. This avoids the anoying lul waiting for the car to change up by itself.

Try it at your own risk, I wouldnt do it too often incase i knacker the gearbox.

Lastly for the US people its a Diesel hence the low RPMs, wont be long before you have 520Ds, 525Ds, 530Ds and 535Ds going on what your President is saying. Trust me you'll be impressed how quick they feel, the torque is amazing in a Turbo Diesel + with the bonus of better MPG when you drive sensible.