E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

key reprogramming or pairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My key recently stopped working remotely and I cant seem to find out how to reprogram it. All instructions I have found seem to be for 3 series. They say to turn ignition on, press and hold unlock, click lock 3 times, etc and it does not work. Is there a different set of instructions for the e60?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

It's been a long time. Are you trying to program you original keys? I think for the E60 it was different in 04 and 05 vs the E39/E46/E85
I dont remember if this is for the E60 or not but you would put key in ignition and turn to 1st position and remove then hold the key up pressing and holding unlock and press lock 3x and you should hear the door locks go down then up. You would then do the next key. All keys have to be done at the same time. I remember the 04 05 E60 had a different MHz key than the E46 and E39.
Were both working and just stopped? If so what changed anything? I kind of find it hard to believe that two car batteries would die at the same time unless one was already dead and then the next just died. The batteries are charged through the ignition so I alternate between keys.
This is what i remember from one of my other cars....I believe there is a chip in the end of the key itself with the remote removed.
I've removed the remote before because I had batteries die out on me and had a few more remotes. The batteries are fixed to the remote by something similar to solder. So I took a remote I had and programmed it. The remote worked fine. when I paired it up with the original key it would not start because the key was not next to the correct transponder I assume. I removed the battery from the good remote and put it in my other remote and paired the key with the remote and all was fine.
I have a good remote which unlocks my E46 but has a blank key as I never had it cut. I am assuming even if I do have it cut it's not going to work with the immobilizer due to my last experience. I have a little ring for key programming for EWS but it's missing in action.
Attached a photo of the whole ordeal so you can see what I'm talking about. You'll see two whole keys with new batteries and the guts from my other donors.
Anyway good luck. let me know if you find anything else.

Attached Thumbnails key reprogramming or pairing-img_0772.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by mk23169
My key recently stopped working remotely and I cant seem to find out how to reprogram it. All instructions I have found seem to be for 3 series. They say to turn ignition on, press and hold unlock, click lock 3 times, etc and it does not work. Is there a different set of instructions for the e60?

Thanks!

Mike
Mike,

If your key stopped working I think it is very unlikely a reprogramming will fix it.
The other key works perfectly? You changed the battery or are sure it is charged? If it is from 2004 and is rechargeable the battery may be bad. Ever had a cordless/rechargeable device around the house that quit taking a charge?