E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key Programming, DRLs and Auto mirror tilt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Individual !!!HUD!!!

Hello Guys - I have just got a 2007 (pre-LCI) 530d M Sport, and have tried searching the forums for answers to my Q's but to no avail. Anyway hopefully someone knows the answers, or knows where I can find them.

1) The car came with 2 keys - one that works and one that doesn't. Strange thing is that when i try to use the non-working key, I hear a very quiet chirp/sqeek when I press unlock/lock but nothing happens!

The chirp/squeek is the same sound I hear when i use the working key, so this makes me think that the car "hears" the faulty key but won't respond - hence I suspect the non-working key has battery power but requires a "re-sync" or something of that nature. I have found quite a few posts about how to reprog the diamond keys, but not for how to do it for a 2007 car with start/stop button and the "smart" key (non comfort access).

Any ideas?

2) I have activated DRLs in my i-drive menu, but don't know if that worked because when my lights are set to "Auto" the headlights are FULLY on ALL THE TIME even in bright sunshine. How are DRLs supposed to work - I assumed it meant that when the lights were set to Auto the DRLs were on all the time and the headlights came on when it started to get dark?

Once again, any ideas?

3) And also I just remembered another - when I put the car into reverse, my passenger side mirror doesn't dip down to the curb view. (I have ensured the mirror selector switch is to the drivers side). Was this an option when ordering the car or standard? Perhaps it must be enabled by the BMW dealer?

Pics coming soon when it's cleaned n polished.....
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2 - there is a dealer-set sensitivity function for the auto headlights. Assuming the sensor is good (which is probably a good assumption), you may want to have them turn it down. The DRL's are supposed to be on whenever the headlights are off regardless of switch position, and then go off when the headlights come on. You aren't seeing this happen apparently because the auto headlights are almost always on.

#3 - flip the side mirror adjustment switch to "driver side" (to the left). Now when in reverse the ride side mirror should dip.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
#2 - there is a dealer-set sensitivity function for the auto headlights. Assuming the sensor is good (which is probably a good assumption), you may want to have them turn it down. The DRL's are supposed to be on whenever the headlights are off regardless of switch position, and then go off when the headlights come on. You aren't seeing this happen apparently because the auto headlights are almost always on.

#3 - flip the side mirror adjustment switch to "driver side" (to the left). Now when in reverse the ride side mirror should dip.
Thanks for the reply mate.

#2 - OK so I'll try and set the light switch to "off" and should still see the DRLs on? (BTW I assumed the DRLs are the angel/halo eyes and the orange eyebrow lit up - correct?)

#3 - I'm from the UK so the switch is set to the right (drivers side), yet when I stick it in reverse the passenger side mirror won't dip! I have been able to adjust the passenger mirror using the buttons so know it works - could there be a special motor for the dipping function that's knackered?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

#3 - Such function usually go w/ specific car option, check and see if your car have SA430 option code.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
#3 - Such function usually go w/ specific car option, check and see if your car have SA430 option code.
Ahhh folding mirrors! Definately don't have that function!

So from this am I correct in saying that auto-dip mirrors are only available if you have the Folding mirrors option?

I am from the UK so perhaps things will differ over here.

Hopefully some UK based e60 owners can tell me if they have auto-dip mirrors without having the folding mirror function. Anyone?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

1) Does the "non-working" key start the car? I am assuming it doesn't. It's odd that the car would even respond to it at all. But what you can do is unlock your car using your working key. Stick the working key in the ignition, holding it for a moment, pop the key back out. And put the non-working key into the ignition. Hold it there for a few moment, say 10-15 seconds. This is the coding process for blank keys, but it's worth a shot.

2) Now, just want to make sure there's no confusion. Which type of headlights do you have? Halogen or Xenon? I am thinking there's the possibility that you're thinking that your DRL is suppose to be the angel eyes, but AE is actually not set as DRL specifically in the LMA until the LCI xenons. So what I am guessing is that you're seeing your high beam running at lower powered to act as DRL and you think your low beams are on.

3) Though unlikely, but it is possible that the option was disabled in the programming. I know it's possible to disable it altogether via NCSexpert and does not require modification of VO.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
2) Now, just want to make sure there's no confusion. Which type of headlights do you have? Halogen or Xenon? I am thinking there's the possibility that you're thinking that your DRL is suppose to be the angel eyes, but AE is actually not set as DRL specifically in the LMA until the LCI xenons. So what I am guessing is that you're seeing your high beam running at lower powered to act as DRL and you think your low beams are on.
What he said.

Definitely on #3 the auto dip feature is not universally linked to the folding mirror option. In the UK it indeed might be a different story. Used to be tied to the memory seat features - do you have memory seats? (Almost all cars come through in the US with this stuff, so we don't always know the possible feature combinations).
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Same in the uk, the passenger mirror kerb function was a bonus function if you had comfort or memory seats but despite what BMW SA`s will tell you this can be enabled if you have just SA430.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
1) Does the "non-working" key start the car? I am assuming it doesn't. It's odd that the car would even respond to it at all. But what you can do is unlock your car using your working key. Stick the working key in the ignition, holding it for a moment, pop the key back out. And put the non-working key into the ignition. Hold it there for a few moment, say 10-15 seconds. This is the coding process for blank keys, but it's worth a shot.

3) Though unlikely, but it is possible that the option was disabled in the programming. I know it's possible to disable it altogether via NCSexpert and does not require modification of VO.
1) Yep going to try that over the weekend - and also the trick of starting with the working key, then stoping & restarting with no key then inserting the broken key and driving around to charge it up.

2) You have hit a raw nerve there! I had (well have, but selling) an '04 IS200 with projector HIDs and just assumed e60s would have them. When I bought the car I was a bit blinded by the HUD and Individual options (& price) that I never checked the headlights. Dad pointed it out to me when I got home. So the original purchaser ordered the HUD but not the adaptive Xenons!!! Nor folding mirrors nor memory seats! I was going around saying it's "fully loaded" like a right ar$ehole! But TBH everyone I've shown it to (except my old man) has also been blinded by the HUD & stuff that they don't notice either!
Anyway I digress - the car has non-projector Halogens me thinks. Basically the lights look the same as our Corsa!

3) What do AE, LMA & VO mean?!?!?!?

Originally Posted by jm545i
What he said.

Definitely on #3 the auto dip feature is not universally linked to the folding mirror option. In the UK it indeed might be a different story. Used to be tied to the memory seat features - do you have memory seats? (Almost all cars come through in the US with this stuff, so we don't always know the possible feature combinations).
No memory seats, no folding mirrors....Yeah yeah don't rub it in :-( I got HUD though!

Originally Posted by BLooD
Same in the uk, the passenger mirror kerb function was a bonus function if you had comfort or memory seats but despite what BMW SA`s will tell you this can be enabled if you have just SA430.
OK so sounds like no folding mirrors, no auto-dip :-( Anyway I read quite a few people with it turn it off cos it doesn't tilt to show the wheel properly. And it can't be adjusted like the M3.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Angel Eyes, Light module and Vehicle Order.