E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key got wet - doesn't work now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so my wife washed my comfort access key. It has been several days and it is completely dry. I put in new battery and it still doesn't work. Nothing at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jimbo
Old 10-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear about that....how did you change the battery of the key? Im sure someone will chime in to help

Edit: figured it out
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by aresh' post='689542' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:21 AM
sorry to hear about that....how did you change the battery of the key? Im sure someone will chime in to help

Edit: figured it out
+1 can you show us a DIY on how to change the battery.
I have been using my for over 4 years and still OK so do I need to change the battery
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bob Slydel' post='689541' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:19 AM
OK so my wife washed my comfort access key. It has been several days and it is completely dry. I put in new battery and it still doesn't work. Nothing at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jimbo
if you washed the key or get it wet, then 100% you will not get it working again. Just like a mobile phone or a digital watch.
There is a little computer inside.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

As a last ditch option, try placing it on your defroster or other fan-blown heat source with moderate heat for about 30 minutes or so. Do not use the oven and never nuke it in the microwave! Because it was actually washed, water may have soaked into the microprocessors. Provided no shorts were experienced, you may get it working again by trying the above. You won't be able to see any moisture inside the chipset and related components, but it may be there. I've saved ipod Nanos and cell phones this way - even weeks after owners thought they were dried. Ultimately you want enough heat to evaporate any moisture in the chipsets and components, without exceeding the maximum temps the chips are rated for. Since we don't have that info at hand, a car defroster on high heat, or even a blowdryer about 8 inches away on high for 30 minutes or so may suffice. If not, then the components are fried. Good luck man.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='689563' date='Oct 9 2008, 11:14 PM
if you washed the key or get it wet, then 100% you will not get it working again. Just like a mobile phone or a digital watch.
There is a little computer inside.
Not necessarily true -- solid state electronics can be completely immersed in water and if properly dried out, can work flawlessly again. One key (no pun intended) to a successful resurrection is to not apply power while there's still moisture present. In other words, immediately remove the battery and don't put it back in until it's completely dry.

How long does it take to dry? It depends on how much air can get in, etc. I always say wait for a few days or more (even a week) before attempting to try it again.

A trick to helping it dry, if you can't disassemble it, is to place it in a plastic bag full of rice (or a bunch of those "silica gel" packets) that will draw the moisture out of the device. Again, patience is the key -- get it as dry as possible and it might just work. If you try to get it working too soon, you might end up with a paperweight...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='689588' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:29 AM
Not necessarily true -- solid state electronics can be completely immersed in water and if properly dried out, can work flawlessly again. One key (no pun intended) to a successful resurrection is to not apply power while there's still moisture present. In other words, immediately remove the battery and don't put it back in until it's completely dry.

How long does it take to dry? It depends on how much air can get in, etc. I always say wait for a few days or more (even a week) before attempting to try it again.

A trick to helping it dry, if you can't disassemble it, is to place it in a plastic bag full of rice (or a bunch of those "silica gel" packets) that will draw the moisture out of the device. Again, patience is the key -- get it as dry as possible and it might just work. If you try to get it working too soon, you might end up with a paperweight...
right I forgot about the solid state electronics.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

My key(not a comfort access) and cell phone survived a complete cycle in the washing machine.
It was funny! all of a sudden the trunk opened, horn and lights went crazy. We couldn't figure out
what was going on until my wife put the clothes in the dryer and found the key fob in the machine bottom .
Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='689638' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:25 AM
My key(not a comfort access) and cell phone survived a complete cycle in the washing machine.
It was funny! all of a sudden the trunk opened, horn and lights went crazy. We couldn't figure out
what was going on until my wife put the clothes in the dryer and found the key fob in the machine bottom .
That was the key's way of crying for help, I suppose... How crazy would it have been if you home phone and other numbers in your cell phone's speed dial list started ringing, etc?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='689579' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:25 PM
As a last ditch option, try placing it on your defroster or other fan-blown heat source with moderate heat for about 30 minutes or so. Do not use the oven and never nuke it in the microwave! Because it was actually washed, water may have soaked into the microprocessors. Provided no shorts were experienced, you may get it working again by trying the above. You won't be able to see any moisture inside the chipset and related components, but it may be there. I've saved ipod Nanos and cell phones this way - even weeks after owners thought they were dried. Ultimately you want enough heat to evaporate any moisture in the chipsets and components, without exceeding the maximum temps the chips are rated for. Since we don't have that info at hand, a car defroster on high heat, or even a blowdryer about 8 inches away on high for 30 minutes or so may suffice. If not, then the components are fried. Good luck man.
Thanks for the info. It is in my food dehydrator now at like 140 degrees. I'll post results after I take it out.

Quick Reply: Key got wet - doesn't work now!