E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key fob(s) working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT - Titanium silver, premium package.
Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Tried a few searches but nothing that fit my question.

Here's the issue with my 06' 530 xiT:

About 2 months ago, BOTH (main and spare) remotes stopped working on my car (couldn't unlock/lock or enable alarm with the buttons). No problem obviously enabling alarm and locks by using the lock core on the driver's side. They stopped working for about a week and then magically started working again.

1 month later, I'm back in the same boat with all of sudden, neither remote working.

I've had a couple opinions from BMW one being that the keys need to be reprogrammed or that the antenna/receiver module being faulty.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Any DIY for the antenna that I could work on if that's the issue to save a repair bill?

Thanks a bunch,
Brad.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brad Kane' post='949012' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,
Tried a few searches but nothing that fit my question.
Here's the issue with my 06' 530 xiT:
About 2 months ago, BOTH (main and spare) remotes stopped working on my car (couldn't unlock/lock or enable alarm with the buttons). No problem obviously enabling alarm and locks by using the lock core on the driver's side. They stopped working for about a week and then magically started working again.
1 month later, I'm back in the same boat with all of sudden, neither remote working.
I've had a couple opinions from BMW one being that the keys need to be reprogrammed or that the antenna/receiver module being faulty.
Has anyone run into this issue before? Any DIY for the antenna that I could work on if that's the issue to save a repair bill?
Thanks a bunch,
Brad.
If you have Comfort Access the batteries are replaceable - they usually last 2-4 years. A trip to Radio Shack for replacements is cheap and easy; If you have conventional start/key/fobs the batteries are charged when in ignition. So it may be a simple reprogramming if they've taken a temporary data dump; I think there is a key programming routine posted in the forum. If one or more antennae or the receiver module have gone bad your dealer will probably have to investigate that.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT - Titanium silver, premium package.

Update:

The issue was the remote control amplifier/antenna control module. Replaced at the stealership for 900 bucks

Nice to have the remotes working and my seat in the right position when I get in now.

One other symptom noted was that the stereo would default to the first preset on the AM dial, like if I was listening to the ipod and turned the car off, it would reset to the first AM preset. Works fine now and the high battery drain error I was also getting has not returned since they replaced the BCM.

Weird and wacky ways that the Bimmers are wired up.

b.