E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key fob with plastic key??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 528i last Monday. My 528i has Comfort Access and hence it can be started without plugging in the key fob and I can also lock/unlock doors by holding the door handles.

The dealer gave me 2 key fobs and a key that looks like made of plastic. I also found an extra key fob in the glove box that seems to house the 'plastic' key. Can someone tell me what the plastic key and the extra key fob (in the glovebox) are for?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Congrats on your new ride! I'm sure you'll get many years of happy motoring out of it! As for the plastic key, it is an emergency key. The plastic key opens your driver's door. Insert said plastic key into the emergency use fob located in your glove box and you have a functioning fob that can be used to start your car, to get you home or to the service center.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by E60528i' post='660219' date='Sep 2 2008, 05:29 PM
I just bought a new 528i last Monday. My 528i has Comfort Access and hence it can be started without plugging in the key fob and I can also lock/unlock doors by holding the door handles.

The dealer gave me 2 key fobs and a key that looks like made of plastic. I also found an extra key fob in the glove box that seems to house the 'plastic' key. Can someone tell me what the plastic key and the extra key fob (in the glovebox) are for?
Dealer orientation for new BMW owners should have familiarized you with many features and functions of your new car. For example, there is a "key" in your comfort-access fobs - for securely locking glovebox and trunk when you use valet parking. Have you located your owners manual? If not, there is one on-line in the info section of the forum!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='660221' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:34 PM
Congrats on your new ride! I'm sure you'll get many years of happy motoring out of it! As for the plastic key, it is an emergency key. The plastic key opens your driver's door. Insert said plastic key into the emergency use fob located in your glove box and you have a functioning fob that can be used to start your car, to get you home or to the service center.
So that plastic key and extra key fob should be kept somewhere safe (like at home) instead of putting it in the glovebox, right?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60528i' post='660226' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:37 AM
So that plastic key and extra key fob should be kept somewhere safe (like at home) instead of putting it in the glovebox, right?
Correct! But I heard people lose them all the time.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Congrats on your new BMW!

Leave the Emergency FOB in the glove box. Keep the key in your wallet. That way you can use the key to open the car, get the FOB out of the glovebox and drive away.

If you leave them at home, they will be useless to you if you need them. The idea is that the key is easy to keep in a wallet or purse (easier than a spare FO. Then you can put it in the FOB in the glovebox to go on your way.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wacopolumbo' post='660660' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:57 PM

Leave the Emergency FOB in the glove box. Keep the key in your wallet. That way you can use the key to open the car, get the FOB out of the glovebox and drive away.

If you leave them at home, they will be useless to you if you need them. The idea is that the key is easy to keep in a wallet or purse (easier than a spare FO. Then you can put it in the FOB in the glovebox to go on your way.
But don't lose your wallet!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

Originally Posted by wacopolumbo' post='660660' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:57 AM

Yup mine is in the wallet!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 525i

never got mine with my 2006 525 i bought from the bmw dealer used i got the empty key fob in the glove box but no plastic key.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Members

Thanks a lot for the help

Quick Reply: Key fob with plastic key??