E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keeping DTC on and DSC off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the function change in the '06 model?

As mentioned DTC on/DSC limited will allow for some wheel spin. It is basically the same as DSC, but is more lenient as it allows for wheel spin and will even allow the back end to come around a bit before intervening.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Totally consufing see! They should make it somewhat labeled like the m cars or many others and have 2 or 3 seetings with normal, sport and race that refer to how much assistance the stability/traction control gives.

Normal would be full like currently have both dsc/dtc
Sport would be like having currently the the DSC limited with DTC button pressed once quickly
Race would be having it all completely off.

So in essence there are 3 settings but I am willing to be virtually nobody realizes the middle setting is kind of in between the all or none. Atleast I did. I actually now think that is the best of both worlds since by no means am a a pro driver who can recover out of any move-especially in the rain or loss of traction, yet I like to have some fun and get a little wheel spin straight and around turns but do like the fact DSC will kick in to help out if necessary. However with DSC fully on I feel too limited to ever have fun since it cuts the engine so quickly so I often just have it off but then I dont feel comfortable enough to push it overly hard even when I have the opportunity because I dont want to lose control olf a car and be stupid-but I think the in between setting gives you the best of both worlds. Well good to know 8 months after owning the car-better late than never
Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='493085' date='Nov 12 2007, 11:38 AM
What does the LCI say on the button?
It says DTC on my LCI model. I have not really understood the real function of this mode eventhough I have read the manual many times over. My understanding is that with DTC off (no light), the DSC is on and will kick in when it detects instability which will lead to loss of control. When DTC is on (light is on after pressing button and holding it briefly), it will allow more wheel slippage and wheel spin and DSC will take a back seat, off but not entirely off. With DTC on, DSC will still kick in when needed. I mean this is just my understanding and interpretation but I have not tried it myself. Cheers!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by my2007' post='493146' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:30 AM
It says DTC on my LCI model. I have not really understood the real function of this mode eventhough I have read the manual many times over. My understanding is that with DTC off (no light), the DSC is on and will kick in when it detects instability which will lead to loss of control. When DTC is on (light is on after pressing button and holding it briefly), it will allow more wheel slippage and wheel spin and DSC will take a back seat, off but not entirely off. With DTC on, DSC will still kick in when needed. I mean this is just my understanding and interpretation but I have not tried it myself. Cheers!
You got it except for your last statement which I assume you mean after holding the dtc button for 5 seconds which is not calle d "dtc on" it means both are completely off and dsc will not intervene at all no matter what happens-traction and stability control completely disabled.

The only time DTC is on is if you dont touch the button-then you have full dsc and dtc to preven any wheel slippage. With the buton pressed for <5 seconds, the DTC light appears but that means DTC is off and minimal DSC is on and will intervene as you mentioned-later than usual but still allows whel spin.

That is the confusing part-pressing the button turnts it off and not on. Then mroe confusing is a light lights up showing "dtc" which actually means its off and not on-just poor labeling by bmw that is all. ike
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, now that I've had a good night's sleep, I found the energy to not only look at my button, but also find an older post where we talked about the renaming of the DSC/DTC button...

First, like my2007, my LCI car does say DTC not DSC as I previously assumed. I remembered that we all noticed this change a while back and created the following thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6363

I think it makes more sense to call the button DTC since that's what it activates when you press it...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

All I know is normal everday driving...push button once...wet road conditions...dont touch anything...dry wether with crazy drifting in mind...hold down for 5 secs...snow...leave it in the garage...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='493269' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:15 PM
All I know is normal everday driving...push button once...wet road conditions...dont touch anything...dry wether with crazy drifting in mind...hold down for 5 secs...snow...leave it in the garage...
LOL! Well said Bill. Except for the snow part... That's when the real fun in my car begins.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

With mine ol' '05 (born 11-04 M54B25) the DSC buttom first drops out the DSC and after some seconds also the DST.

The LCI tech is so much more advanced than my 3 YO, that I'm really surprised.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Eh Tomato Potato... stupid button...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Members

Redwhiteblue, thanks for sharing your DSC/DTC experience. After reading thru all the threads here as well as the link given by Rudy, I must say I am still a little confused. I went and read the manual again as well as did some search on the web and I think I have a clearer picture now. Yes, like most of you said DTC is a version of DSC. DSC is always on when when no symbol is lit on the instrument panel. To activate DTC, press the DTC button briefly and the DTC light will come on in the instrument panel. DTC being a form of DSC whereby the "drive output is optimized for particular road conditions, e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads." This mode allows for more spirited driving but with "reduced driving stability", like Redwhiteblue mentioned DSC will still intervene should it becomes necessary (more tolerance). By pressing and holding DTC button (not sure why manual says for less than 10 secs) until DSC symbol (the one with the triangle) comes on in the instrument panel, both DTC and DSC are deactivated and you have no electronics systems to assist you should the car over or understeers. I have not tried it myself but will try it out soon. Has anyone of you seen the DSC symbol with the triangle stay on in the instrument panel after deactivating DSC? Cheers!

Quick Reply: Keeping DTC on and DSC off