E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

To keep or not to keep

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528I 2008 Triumph Daytona 675

Het the f10 o miles
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by tuffluck
don't know if you have it paid off, but remember if keeping it out of warranty for a year also means you pay it off during that year, the $500 or whatever you are paying monthly will suddenly be in your pocket and applicable to maintenance costs if required. if the car hasn't given you much trouble in the past, you don't have much to be scared of i wouldn't think. 12 months and all you pay is that $1k you mentioned earlier, that's like 2-3 months of car payments...remember you are saving 9-10 months of car payments that you would be making on another car you purchase that has a warranty. you're not really gaining anything there.

then again, if you don't want to risk it or don't really want to keep it, get rid of it.

Good point! I forgot to mention that I will have roughly a year or so with payments outside of warranty. That was essentially my rationalle...if i hypothetically pay $500 /mo and repairs/maintenance for the year out of warranty cost, say $1200, then I can divide that by 12 and add $100 to my payment. Is it worth keeping or just shop for something under warranty for $600 / mo?

The nice thing about keeping it is that after that initial year out of warranty then the payments go away and your scenerio comes into play.

Pretty sure I'll keep 'er!
I do love the car
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PlanB
Good point! I forgot to mention that I will have roughly a year or so with payments outside of warranty. That was essentially my rationalle...if i hypothetically pay $500 /mo and repairs/maintenance for the year out of warranty cost, say $1200, then I can divide that by 12 and add $100 to my payment. Is it worth keeping or just shop for something under warranty for $600 / mo?

The nice thing about keeping it is that after that initial year out of warranty then the payments go away and your scenerio comes into play.

Pretty sure I'll keep 'er!
I do love the car
i don't really think there is much financial harm in owning a car out of warranty unless you get unlucky or don't handle it properly when it becomes a financial nuisance. if it starts having serious problems that is when you can take it back to bmw and trade it in for another CPO (or whatever you want). most of the time they never check problems when it comes to trade-ins as long as the car starts and has no visible physical defects. the truth is that trade-ins are usually not a sound deal for the end user, but if your car has expensive problems then a trade-in is about the only deal you are going to find.