E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just purchased a 545i

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2004 545i with SMG and Sport Package. Had 39,000 miles and BMW CPO. Oriental Blue with the Auburn interior. Just that color combination alone almost sold me. We feel we got a great deal on the car. From doing research it looked like we got it for about 3k to 5k less then the going rate with out are trade. Traded in are Land Cruiser which was just an awesome SUV but with gas approaching $4 a gallon and my wife being the only one in it 90% of the time it didn't make sense any longer. Had the dealership pull up the history on the car and had nothing but schedule maintance done except one sensor that was replaced. From doing my homework on this car it seemed like you either get a good one with little to no problems or you get a monthly head ache.

I've had my share of luxury cars over the years. Had an Audi, BMW 7 series (most problematic car I ever owned), Caddy, and Lexus LS (still have). I got to say the 545i is just a stunning combination of performance and practicality of a daily driver. Mainly going to be used by wife daily and my toy on the weekend.

We drove the Audi A6 with the 6 and the 8 and both are nice rides all the way around and could've easily seen either one in are garage. Then drove a 535i which was also very nice. But from coming from the past cars being more luxury geared then performance geared we through caution to the wind and rewarded are selfs with the 545i. Everytime I drive I just feel like going faster and faster, car is just so tight all the way around no matter how hard you push it. Interesting to see how it will be after a few mods.

Great forum you all have here. Very informative.

P.S.: SMG is really a piece of art as far as transmissions go. I totally agree with what others said on here that if you drive it for a ten minute test drive you aren't going to like it (unless your test drive is on a track). After driving it now for a week it is simply awesome. Didn't take long to get the overall feel of it and getting even better with each drive.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

enjoy and welcome
Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Congtrats and
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='551200' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:47 PM
2004 545i with SMG and Sport Package. Had 39,000 miles and BMW CPO. Oriental Blue with the Auburn interior. Just that color combination alone almost sold me. We feel we got a great deal on the car. From doing research it looked like we got it for about 3k to 5k less then the going rate with out are trade. Traded in are Land Cruiser which was just an awesome SUV but with gas approaching $4 a gallon and my wife being the only one in it 90% of the time it didn't make sense any longer. Had the dealership pull up the history on the car and had nothing but schedule maintance done except one sensor that was replaced. From doing my homework on this car it seemed like you either get a good one with little to no problems or you get a monthly head ache.

I've had my share of luxury cars over the years. Had an Audi, BMW 7 series (most problematic car I ever owned), Caddy, and Lexus LS (still have). I got to say the 545i is just a stunning combination of performance and practicality of a daily driver. Mainly going to be used by wife daily and my toy on the weekend.

We drove the Audi A6 with the 6 and the 8 and both are nice rides all the way around and could've easily seen either one in are garage. Then drove a 535i which was also very nice. But from coming from the past cars being more luxury geared then performance geared we through caution to the wind and rewarded are selfs with the 545i. Everytime I drive I just feel like going faster and faster, car is just so tight all the way around no matter how hard you push it. Interesting to see how it will be after a few mods.

P.S.: SMG is really a piece of art as far as transmissions go. I totally agree with what others said on here that if you drive it for a ten minute test drive you aren't going to like it (unless your test drive is on a track). After driving it now for a week it is simply awesome. Didn't take long to get the overall feel of it and getting even better with each drive.
Skylolow.......

Welcome to the forums, It took me a while to get used to the SMG myself, now that I am I'm loving it!!!

We cant wait to see your mods, i just had my springs installed last week and the wheels and M-Tech kit are on order, keep us posted.

I hope you enjoy your 545 as much as I have been!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forum!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='551217' date='Mar 26 2008, 04:20 PM
Skylolow.......

Welcome to the forums, It took me a while to get used to the SMG myself, now that I am I'm loving it!!!

We cant wait to see your mods, i just had my springs installed last week and the wheels and M-Tech kit are on order, keep us posted.

I hope you enjoy your 545 as much as I have been!!!
I found the SMG to be the perfect compromise between my wife and I. I could live with a manual on a daily basis but she'd rather have an automatic on a daily basis. But with the SMG we seem to have found the best of both worlds. She rarely puts in the auto mode.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

and NICE PURCHASE!

I'm sure the MOD bug will hit very soon...
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

to the forum and congrats on your new purchase....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, M-Sport Bodykit, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Active Steering.

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='551200' date='Mar 27 2008, 06:47 AM

What model BMW 7 Series did you have? How about some pics of your new ride.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport: Titanium Gray on Gray Dakota with Black Poplar Trim, SMG Transmission, Active Steering, Logic 7, Navigation

Congrats on the purchase.

I too bought a 2004 545i with SMG, NAV, and sport package just a couple of months ago. Also low miles (29,000), but purchased outside the BMW CPO program with an add-on comprehensive warrantee. So far so good.

Since then I've added Bluetooth and the Aux input for my MP3 player. Both were worthwhile. In the process I was updated to the latest operating software which did seem to smooth out some issues with the SMG.

Great car for a great price (glad I didn't take the depreciation hit from new!)

Welcome to the Forum -- I've learned a lot in the past few months due to the experts here.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 545i