E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just picked up my new............

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

520D M Sport - Titanium Silver / Sun Protection Glass / Bluetooh Prep / Hi-Fi Speaker System

Initial impressions are........ its fantastic.

Ive got lots of work to do so I am having to just look at it through my study window.

A few questions though.

1. Aux Input connection - I can play my Ipod through it but at very limited volume, is this to be expected.

2. With only standard voice activation what am I able to control as at the moment she doesn't understand me!

3. Has anyone knocked their teeth out yet with the boot release!

4. How can I convert songs in my itunes to MP3 or is this too much trouble.

Cheers

Andy
Old 05-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Members

Congrats and welcome to the family ! Now pics would be nice
Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

Hi Any - Congrats (got mine last night )

Firstly - you need to prioritise.
1... Car
2... Family
3... Work

re the iPOD - you need get a connector that feeds the aux-in from the line-out of the iPOD which comes from the docking connector at the bottom. Belkin do a good one (got one from Amazon GBP20 I think).

regards
Nick
Old 05-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Aux input volume is VERY low. There are also some naughty capicitors in the aftermarket version (and almost certainly the factory fit as well) which really cut down the bass response. There is an excellent thread on the forum about removing them on the aftermarket kit - don't know if you brave enough to tackle this on the factory fit.

You do need a 'line out' connector to get the most out of the ipod, but I was very unhappy with the Belkin one as it has an in-line amp which screws the sound quality. Best one I could find in is the monster icar charger.

Whatever you do - it's still going to be quieter than the radio and cd - so you just have to get used to turning the volume down when you change sources. I've normalised all 3000 of my tracks to 89 dba using 'mp3gain' to avoid clipping and any risk of damaging my amp / speakers - which means this is always going to be an issue.

If you don't have nav then the voice input only controls the phone dialling - but it is pretty good and worthing figuring out even though.

And as to itunes and mp3's - burning mp3 discs is dead easy. But ... if you can get your ipod to work well then there is no point ....

Oh .... and enjoy the car
Old 05-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by andymac' post='280372' date='May 10 2006, 07:56 AM
520D M Sport - Titanium Silver / Sun Protection Glass / Bluetooh Prep / Hi-Fi Speaker System

Initial impressions are........ its fantastic.

Ive got lots of work to do so I am having to just look at it through my study window.

A few questions though.

1. Aux Input connection - I can play my Ipod through it but at very limited volume, is this to be expected.

2. With only standard voice activation what am I able to control as at the moment she doesn't understand me!

3. Has anyone knocked their teeth out yet with the boot release!

4. How can I convert songs in my itunes to MP3 or is this too much trouble.

Cheers

Andy
Enjoy, the M-Sport is a stunning car.

In order:

1. No idea as although i've got an iPOD, i've no intention of ever playing it in my car & i don't have an AUX input anyhow.
2. Again, i've no real idea as my car has Extended Voice Control, so virtually everything & i mean everything can be voice controlled. I think the standard system can activate phone calls as you already have Bluetooth & probably switch between Climate, Entertainment, Communication & Navigation.
3. The boot release is a little aggresive but i like the fact it opens fully from a distance, rather than just opening slightly like many cars do.
4. I can answer this one assuming you have Windows & not Mac. If your iTunes is Windows based then you "Documents" directory will have a "Music" folder & in their is every song you've uploaded & sync'd with you iPOD. The directory structure may look a little different than it does on your iPOD, but every song is in that directory. It's a slight pain to be honest, because if like me you have a 60GB iPOD with say 30GB filled, then you also have all those tracks in MP3 format on your hard-drive taking up a valuable 30GB of hard-drive space. However on the other hand it's useful if like me you have accidently wiped your iPOD
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Members

re the iPOD - you need get a connector that feeds the aux-in from the line-out of the iPOD which comes from the docking connector at the bottom. Belkin do a good one (got one from Amazon GBP20 I think).

regards
Nick
[/quote]

Thanks Nick, was taking the input from the headphone jack. Just tried it with my docking base and it works fine so I will have to invest.

Cheers

Andy
Old 05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='280387' date='May 10 2006, 02:18 PM
4. I can answer this one assuming you have Windows & not Mac. If your iTunes is Windows based then you "Documents" directory will have a "Music" folder & in their is every song you've uploaded & sync'd with you iPOD. The directory structure may look a little different than it does on your iPOD, but every song is in that directory. It's a slight pain to be honest, because if like me you have a 60GB iPOD with say 30GB filled, then you also have all those tracks in MP3 format on your hard-drive taking up a valuable 30GB of hard-drive space. However on the other hand it's useful if like me you have accidently wiped your iPOD
If you download music (which I do a LOT) you will have (somewhere in 'my documents') a 'my music' folder. ITunes will add an 'itunes music' folder to this.

Any downloaded music in mp3 format etc will be left in it's the original place on the hard disc even if you add it to the itunes library. Any ripped cd's or music bought from itunes will be stored in the itunes folder as a .aac file.

The only exception is wma format files which will be copied and converted to aac by itunes - so you will have both wma and aac versions on your hard disc.

If you delete any of these files then they will dissapear from 'my library' and your ipod when you next synch - so leave em alone.

You can burn mp3 cd's directly from itunes, but I wouldn't try to convert formats unecessarily as changing from one 'lossy' format to another just results in a more 'lossy' file.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats andymac

But where's the pics?

Love to see more pics of the exhaust.

PS. The boot opens also "saftly" from the release
above the license plate
Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Congrats!! Plz post pics of your beauty!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Andy!
Show us some pics

Quick Reply: Just picked up my new............