E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just joined the E60 nation

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545 SMG + Sports Black with Truffle brown interior

Hi every one. I just picked up my very first BMW ever. I have always dreamed of owning an M5 but after doing the research I did not think it would make a good daily commuter and look good with a car seat in the back so I decide that a 545 with SMG and sports was a more reasonable choice. I have left my Honda days behind me and am looking forward finally feeling one with the road in my 545. I was hoping I could get a few questions answered.
1. I live in a busy city in Canada and although we salt and plough our roads during the winter months, how important is it to have winter tires if I am already on Kumo all seasons?
2. How do you program the key so that it adjusts the seat as you approach you car
3. When I press the Voice command button on the steering wheel should an Icon appear on the I drive screen? I can't seem to get it to do anything. Not sure if I have this option.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by papajohn' post='476736' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:26 AM
Hi every one. I just picked up my very first BMW ever. I have always dreamed of owning an M5 but after doing the research I did not think it would make a good daily commuter and look good with a car seat in the back so I decide that a 545 with SMG and sports was a more reasonable choice. I have left my Honda days behind me and am looking forward finally feeling one with the road in my 545. I was hoping I could get a few questions answered.
1. I live in a busy city in Canada and although we salt and plough our roads during the winter months, how important is it to have winter tires if I am already on Kumo all seasons?
2. How do you program the key so that it adjusts the seat as you approach you car
3. When I press the Voice command button on the steering wheel should an Icon appear on the I drive screen? I can't seem to get it to do anything. Not sure if I have this option.

Welcome. Congratulations on your new car, I am sure you will love it.

You will, like the rest of us get so much from this Forum.

I will not attempt to answer your questions. I think I will leave that to the more informed members.(Canadians etc).
Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Enjoy forums and new car!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 AM
Contributors

Congrats &
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Welcome and congrats! Let the modding begin!

PS - This forum is addictive and can ruin relationships with your spouse! LOL! lol:
Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='476830' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:12 PM
PS - This forum is addictive and can ruin relationships with your spouse! LOL! lol:

we should set up a counseling and excuses section on the forum!

papajohn - congrats on the new ride and welcome on board!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by papajohn' post='476736' date='Oct 1 2007, 10:26 PM

As to winter tires, I would not drive the car without them in your area. All Seasons are NOT winter tires, and they can be dangerous in the winter, ie. they get hard. It's not just snow that's a problem, it's the ice and slush also. Even on my 535xi to come in Dec, I will install 4 winters.

As to your other questions, don't know. Have you tried the Manual??
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuco' post='476884' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:58 PM
As to winter tires, I would not drive the car without them in your area. All Seasons are NOT winter tires, and they can be dangerous in the winter, ie. they get hard. It's not just snow that's a problem, it's the ice and slush also. Even on my 535xi to come in Dec, I will install 4 winters.
+1
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 SMG + Sports Black with Truffle brown interior

Originally Posted by tuco' post='476884' date='Oct 2 2007, 11:58 AM

As to your other questions, don't know. Have you tried the Manual??
Have not tried the manual. My wife will drive the car 2% of the time when I require the use of her SUV to do the odd chore and she refuses to learn stick. I am firm believer that a happy wife makes for a happy life (She must feel the same since she had no issue with me upgrading my 4 year old low KM honda for my 545). SMG was a perfect compromise since I am a F1 fan. It truly takes everything good about driving manual and gets rid of that peskey clutch. I have also read some reviews on how good BM's manual trannies are compared to the auto and I was sold.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by papajohn' post='476736' date='Oct 2 2007, 07:26 AM
The key remembers the last position automatically. So, when you lock the car it stores the infos. Then somebody else drives the car with the other key... Once you come back and press the unlock button on the key, the seat will be moved back to the position that was stored the last time you locked the car. There's a setting in the settings menue on your idrive to select if the seat will be moved into the stored position when opening the door or when pressing the button on the key allready.
If you have voice command you will hear a "beep" and the radio is muted. Then the system awaits your voice command. If you don't have voice command, nothing happens when you press the button. So it looks like you don't have it.

And

Quick Reply: Just joined the E60 nation