E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just did 60k Maintenance ($203) w/Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my ride hit 60k earlier this month unfortunatly But she's good to go however. Did a little calling around to see what the ongoing price was for the 60k on an '08 528i. I was told $198 and $200. Not much difference except the price for $198 only included checking the codes (apparently this is really what's required to see if there's anything going on with the car) and brake fluid flush because there were the only two indicators I had on display. I asked if that included an oil change and I got a "hell no" hahaha. So the $200 place was the computer check, brake fluid flush, and oil change so they got my business. After it was completed the mech tells me "everything looks good, however, we also checked your water pump and although it's working ok just keep an eye on it and look out to see if your car ever over heats so you can pull over immediately." I'm like ok but are you telling me it's looking like it's about to fail. He said no, but it is running slower than a new one and being that it's an electric water pump it's more expensive. I'm thinking ok maybe $200-$275 or so tops. NOOOOOOO!!!! $500 for the pump alone. Said mine is still working good enough and should be ok, just check it again next maintenance.

Like seriously, it's going to be close to $1,000 to get this thing changed in the event it goes out and how often does the water pump on these things go out?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

don't know about the 528 but my 330 water pump went out at 90k. I just changed it myself along with the thermostat. It really wasn't that difficult.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Beaman528i
So my ride hit 60k earlier this month unfortunatly But she's good to go however. Did a little calling around to see what the ongoing price was for the 60k on an '08 528i. I was told $198 and $200. Not much difference except the price for $198 only included checking the codes (apparently this is really what's required to see if there's anything going on with the car) and brake fluid flush because there were the only two indicators I had on display. I asked if that included an oil change and I got a "hell no" hahaha. So the $200 place was the computer check, brake fluid flush, and oil change so they got my business. After it was completed the mech tells me "everything looks good, however, we also checked your water pump and although it's working ok just keep an eye on it and look out to see if your car ever over heats so you can pull over immediately." I'm like ok but are you telling me it's looking like it's about to fail. He said no, but it is running slower than a new one and being that it's an electric water pump it's more expensive. I'm thinking ok maybe $200-$275 or so tops. NOOOOOOO!!!! $500 for the pump alone. Said mine is still working good enough and should be ok, just check it again next maintenance.

Like seriously, it's going to be close to $1,000 to get this thing changed in the event it goes out and how often does the water pump on these things go out?
did you expect to spend something along the lines of a HONDA service?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Mine almost went out on me. Started making horrible sounds on the way back from a trip. It was around 900 to replace with labor I recall from a independent shop.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

Apparently longevity is crap-shoot with these electric water pumps. Had to replace mine on my 06 550i @ 55k miles, $850.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by whoyuwit
don't know about the 528 but my 330 water pump went out at 90k. I just changed it myself along with the thermostat. It really wasn't that difficult.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and will most likely attempt that on my own as well because labor rates are rediculous!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
did you expect to spend something along the lines of a HONDA service?
Ummmm every since $100 oil changes I've never expected Honda prices. I'm well aware that it cost a lil extra for our cars, just didn't know we were talking so damn much in parts alone. not including the labor. Thanks anyway for your comment.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

If these things bother you, go get a maintenance plan for your car if you still can. It will cover free oil changes, wipers, brakes. Not the water pump though.

Or buy a cable and learn to diagnose yourself and get handy with DIYs. Here is a list of DIYs for the E60 http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...iy-thread.html . It also helps to find a good mechanic who you can get into a long term relationship with.

Yes, water pump is 300-400ish for parts easily. There is only one manufacturer and they have no resale value, so the price is high. Figure out the part number on realoem and see what the cheapest is online also (I have seen them go for 250ish at the bare minimum).

Parts are probably going to pinch you much less than labor - 150ish/hour at most dealers is a killer.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Beaman528i

Where did you take it for the $200 service plus oil? That sounds like a pretty good deal. Was it a dealership?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Shop around for the water pump. I found one on ebay for closer to $200.
How long it'll last is a crap shoot. I've read everything from 30k to 130k...
89k here on the original with a replacement on standby.

Quick Reply: Just did 60k Maintenance ($203) w/Oil Change