E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Joined the Century Club (big for me)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Okay, I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but I typically don't like to drive fast. However, we've had our '08 535i w/ sport packages less than a week and I had to take it out last night to charge the battery (another post) and decided to open it up. First of all, let me say that I was in an off the highway, well lit, 4 lane straight road with no other cars on it. I wanted to test the car's 0-60 time but couldn't help taking to over 100mph. My observations are as follows:

- Wow! Seeing how I'm a husband and a father, I'm not sure how often I will drive like this, but it was quite exhilarating.

- The only other time I can recall going over 100mph was as a youth in my Dad's V8 405hp SS El Camino. That was a throw you back in the seat rumbling experience that felt a little out of control. On the other hand, while my experience with the 535i was not quite as visceral, it was awesome none the less. The smoothness in acceleration, the quiet roar of the engine, and the feeling at 100mph that I was just getting started left my heart pounding and my semi-permanent grip prints on the steering wheel. BTW, I haven't told my wife what I did in her car last night - should I?

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience and how glad I am to be a part of the BMW family for the first time ever. I recently read a post somewhere in here complaining that all people ever do in this forum is complain. Well, while I think that this person just doesn't understand the purpose of these forums, I thought I would offer up some of the fun benefits of owning one of these ultimate driving machines.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

great story! glad to see youre out enjoying the car for what it was designed for....to be driven hard and make you smile!

me personally, im addicted to speed and i dont think a single day goes by that i dont take my E60 over 100mph....but thats just me. the feeling of exhilaration never wanes tho
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

just be carefull to bring here about speeding, because some crazy person has sent all information to local police on one of the guys here, who did speed in housing community. I would never do that, but some people thinks it's right thing to do, be a snitch for police.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

if i were king.....such people would be flogged in the town square and branded with an S on their cheek.

Originally Posted by phlfly
just be carefull to bring here about speeding, because some crazy person has sent all information to local police on one of the guys here, who did speed in housing community. I would not do ever, but some people thinks it's right thing to do, be a snitch for police.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Thought that might be an issue, and I in no way condone speeding in populated areas or congested roads. However, under the right safe circumstances, I think that just about everyone likes to open things up to see what their car has and what it is like to go fast. Like I pointed out, this is only the second time in my life that I can recall exceeding 100mph.

While I typically drive the speed limit or possibly +5 at the most, what I have noticed in this car in the short time I've had it is that when on the highway I can be driving 80 before I know it (65mph speed limit). It accelerates so cleanly and quitely that it surprises me how fast I'm travelling. I can't wait for my next trip where I have some stretches of 70 & 75mph speed limits here in TX & OK.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

yes, I agree with you, so sometime you want to open throttle and hear engine sound.
Even cops do all the time on their cars, but it's legal because he/she is COP. I have never understood, why police car is traveling on hwy with higher speed (about 20-30 mph over) then speed limit, when thier emergency lights are off. More important they are waisting a lot fuel that has been paid by us.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Try driving one of these cars in Germany. Once you do, driving here in the U.S. will never be the same.......