E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jet Black- Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Hi. Expecting delivery of 520d in thre weeks and have found this forum excellent in preparation for delivery. I've ordered Jet Black as Carbon is a euro1500 option here. Too late now to change order but would appreciate feedback from owners of jet black cars regarding upkeep, recommended wax etc.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

had a jet black 3-series coupe for the last 18 months and I have too say it looked rather lovely.

I only ever used the wax that came out of the automatic car wash; but the bugger always looked shiny as f*ck.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

In addition to my e60 I also have a 03 e46 Jet Black. Its a great color, looks fabulous when clean and shinny, but I think thats the key.....CLEAN ........ITS HAS TO STAY CLEAN
Old 02-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='235329' date='Feb 5 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi. Expecting delivery of 520d in thre weeks and have found this forum excellent in preparation for delivery. I've ordered Jet Black as Carbon is a euro1500 option here. Too late now to change order but would appreciate feedback from owners of jet black cars regarding upkeep, recommended wax etc.
Having had 3 jet blacks before my saphire black, the only criticism I have of it is the paint is a soft compound that marks very easy. Those nasty circles come very quickly and are impossible to get out.

grinche
Old 02-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I love my black Z06, but never again a black car. Like ipse d says, "black is not a color; it's a hobby."
Old 02-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='235348' date='Feb 5 2006, 06:44 PM
"black is not a color; it's a hobby."
Good one.

Nothing looks better on the E60 than Jet Black - when it's sparkling clean.

You need to be somewhat fanatical about keeping it clean. And be prepared for every little hairline scrape, scratch, and blemish to show through as if it has a spotlight on it. :'( And from the first moment you touch the exterior - it will start to get scrapes.

But I think it is worth it.

I don't think it matters as much which wax or protection treatment you use as it matters how thoroughly you keep it fully protected.

Enjoy the car and best of luck with it.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='235349
"black is not a color; it's a hobby."
Good one.

Nothing looks better on the E60 than Jet Black - when it's sparkling clean.

You need to be somewhat fanatical about keeping it clean. And be prepared for every little hairline scrape, scratch, and blemish to show through as if it has a spotlight on it. :'( And from the first moment you touch the exterior - it will start to get scrapes.

But I think it is worth it.

I don't think it matters as much which wax or protection treatment you use as it matters how thoroughly you keep it fully protected.

Enjoy the car and best of luck with it.
[/quote]And, never look at a black car twice in the same place; it will scratch. And, yes, the worst thing about a black car is that no matter how hard you try it is going to get scratches that wouldn't show on the silvers and to show its scratches very clearly. Also, as you sort of imply, one needs to pretty much wax a black car every time it is washed (needed every other day ) for it to look good.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

No more black for me. My last car was an e46 M3 in Jet Black. If you aren't fanatic about the finish you will probably be very happy. But I became very discriminating, and detailing became my hobby. I had to do a complete detail - wash, clay, polish, and seal when the dealer, by mistake, washed my car. Would dread looking at the car when the sun came out because every paint defect would scream at you and it really shows dirt. Ti Ag is a breeze, and I'm not paranoid when I dry using a high quality microfiber. No more black for me as a daily driver.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

There is a co-worker here who has a JB 550i.

Looks really, really sharp in the underground parking garage with the soft, subdued lighting. But take it outside where the sun shines, and unless it is spotless you begin to wonder if you should have bought stock in car wax companies ...
Old 02-05-2006, 08:09 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='235329' date='Feb 5 2006, 03:47 PM
Just a whole lot of washing

Quick Reply: Jet Black- Opinions