E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

JD Power Sales Satisfaction Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:55 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

UK results attached
JD Power Sales Satisfaction Study-jd_power_man_09.png
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

No surprise there, the European culture is more polite, in general, than here in the US so I would expect more people to be happier with the sales experience there. I realize there were problems with the HPFP's and other things, but these things happen when a completely new model comes out (the main reason I don;t EVER buy the first year of any model). We have heard far fewer complaints about the 535's from owners of the 09/10 MY cars haven't we?
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1070875' date='Dec 9 2009, 09:18 AM
I think you all missed what the survey is about. It's not about service, it's not about reliability or HPFPs. It's about the sales experience and apparently the BMW sales experience does not compare favorably to Jaguar or Cadillac. How many of you have complained that dealers sometime take months to deliver, or deliver the wrong options, or won't deal down, etc.? This is what they are talking about.
+1. The cheapest Jaguar starts at $52,000 and with the Portfolio models their pricing extends to roughly the same numbers as BMW's most expensive model. With a much higher minimum cost of entry to the brand, Jaguar buyers are probably more and not less likely to demand a better dealer experience than the typical BMW buyer - and based on these survey results, it seems that Jag dealers do deliver.
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1070890' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:03 AM
No surprise there, the European culture is more polite, in general, than here in the US so I would expect more people to be happier with the sales experience there. I realize there were problems with the HPFP's and other things, but these things happen when a completely new model comes out (the main reason I don;t EVER buy the first year of any model). We have heard far fewer complaints about the 535's from owners of the 09/10 MY cars haven't we?
PJ, these look at the buying experience. The other JD Power surveys look at ownership and that's where stuff like the HPFP issues might have an impact. This particular study only really look at how well the customers perceive the dealer handled the sales and buying process.
Old 12-09-2009 | 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1070890' date='Dec 9 2009, 12:03 PM

Not true... There are issues you just have not read them here.

E90post, Bimmerfest are filled with them.. and X6 issues.

If it comes down to The sales issue, could it be due to the dealers cutting away the "under performing" sales staff , and only the most profitable / Aggressive are kept... they may make a sale , but they don't make any "friends" in doing so, and in treating people that way they get bad marks...

Also In europe are all the Dealerships owned by large conglomerates like Penske and Sonic? or are they still Indys or smaller local chains? This could also weigh heavily on the ratings...
Old 12-09-2009 | 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Once again, it depends upon the individual dealer, their management and their employees. While the experience often differs from dealership to dealership, the end result should be the same. We all strive for total customer satisfaction. A large part of my compensation as a CA is based upon my CSI index. Knowing my staff and how we treat each other and, more importantly, our customers, I can confidently say that if a customer has a serious problem with any of us, they are probably being unreasonable. You also need to keep in mind that there are 6 other BMW dealerships within a relatively short driving distance from us, so if people were having problems at one place, chances are their business would suffer. It keeps all of us on our toes. Same, I guess, can't be said for dealerships with less competition but it really shouldn't make a difference.

As a relatively new CI, I rely heavily upon referals and do things to try and make my customers' experiences far exceed their expectations. One thing that I do is assign one of my customers' direct access buttons to dial my cell phone. That way if they are driving and have a problem, I am a button push away. By the way, to date I have only received one call but it's still nice to know that I am there if they need me.
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:25 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='1070950' date='Dec 9 2009, 08:39 PM
Once again, it depends upon the individual dealer, their management and their employees. While the experience often differs from dealership to dealership, the end result should be the same. We all strive for total customer satisfaction. A large part of my compensation as a CA is based upon my CSI index. Knowing my staff and how we treat each other and, more importantly, our customers, I can confidently say that if a customer has a serious problem with any of us, they are probably being unreasonable. You also need to keep in mind that there are 6 other BMW dealerships within a relatively short driving distance from us, so if people were having problems at one place, chances are their business would suffer. It keeps all of us on our toes. Same, I guess, can't be said for dealerships with less competition but it really shouldn't make a difference.

As a relatively new CI, I rely heavily upon referals and do things to try and make my customers' experiences far exceed their expectations. One thing that I do is assign one of my customers' direct access buttons to dial my cell phone. That way if they are driving and have a problem, I am a button push away. By the way, to date I have only received one call but it's still nice to know that I am there if they need me.

The idea that ANYONE from a dealership in the UK would post personal contact details on a forum is laughable. Hell it's bad enough trying to get a sensible answer during work hours.

I take my hat off to you, with an approach like yours I would sure as hell seek you out if I was buying.

Keep it up,
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 Porsche Cayman S. Black on Black with Black tint. Sport (thicker) steering wheel, Heated Sport Seats, OEM Short Shifter, Clear Engine Cover. [b][u]SOLD! '08 550i 6SPD, Alpine White w/ OEM Carbon Fiber, Perforated Black leather, Anthracite Bamboo Trim[/u] full Sports Package with OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters and Diffuser, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, BMW Professional Nav, Heated/Ventilated 20 way Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Split Rear Seats, Comfort Access, iPod, PIAA Fog Lights, Xenon Match Interior Lighting, 12mm Rear Spacers, Gloss Black Model Designation, Carbon Fiber Door Pillar Covers, AngeliBrights (temporary set in place), ACS Style CF Diffuser, RDSport Quad conversion. RPI scoop (black) [u]2000 Z3 Coupe 2.8, Topaz Blue, Black Leather, Walnut Trim[/u] Koni Adjustable's w/ Racing Dynamics springs (1.75" drop), UUC LTW FW, E39 M5 Clutch, Wilwood Big Brakes, UUC Motorworks SSK, Rogue Engineering Big Boy Clutch Stop, Rogue Engineering Pulleys, EuroSport CF CAI, Sharked, Hawk HP+ Pads, Hamman Side Outlet Vents, ACS Type 3 18"s(replica) and 1000w pumping through a JL10W6[/b]

I agree that there are individual dealerships (partially) at fault.

I've gone to dealerships (having done my homework) and had sales people argue with me... not just politely disagree, about specs. It's hard to believe that a sales person, for a respectable luxury manufacturer, whose livelihood depends on making sales would not only argue with a customer, but would *ghasp* know less about their product than their customers. It's quite embarrassing really (BOOOO!! BMW Tucson). And don't get me started on Service Departments who argue that the OEM BMW Carbon Fiber Splitters are a "cheap aftermarket product"! (Boooo Again!! BMW Tucson).

That's not to say they're all bad. BMW of North Scottsdale has some of the best service employees I've ever met. Good enough to drive 3 hours to Phoenix just to avoid the Tucson stealership!

OK... enough venting.

Who really cares what everyone else thinks as long as WE the OWNERS (or leasers) are happy!!!!