E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jackstand use on E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I think my posts from earlier got deleted so I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong forum. Please advise.

I know how to lift the car using the factory pad points (the 4 on the rocker panels (2 each side), and the one under the engine). The question is, where can you place a conventional jack stand(s) (mine are Craftsman brand) to hold the car up while you're doing the work? Does anyone have pictures?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1027766' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:08 PM
I think my posts from earlier got deleted so I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong forum. Please advise.

I know how to lift the car using the factory pad points (the 4 on the rocker panels (2 each side), and the one under the engine). The question is, where can you place a conventional jack stand(s) (mine are Craftsman brand) to hold the car up while you're doing the work? Does anyone have pictures?
This is a common problem nowadays, manufacturers no longer put such information in owner handbooks for DIY work.It is quite easy to put a hydraulic jack in the wrong place and cause damage to bodywork or suspension.So,I now apply common sense,in that I only jack the car at the points shown for wheel changes,but for additional safety when under the car I place jack stands under specific points such as where the main suspension is anchored to the body.
If you don't have jack stands use large wooden blocks and/or a spare wheel as a safety measure,but do NOT use bricks.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1027832' date='Oct 8 2009, 02:27 PM
This is a common problem nowadays, manufacturers no longer put such information in owner handbooks for DIY work.It is quite easy to put a hydraulic jack in the wrong place and cause damage to bodywork or suspension.So,I now apply common sense,in that I only jack the car at the points shown for wheel changes,but for additional safety when under the car I place jack stands under specific points such as where the main suspension is anchored to the body.
If you don't have jack stands use large wooden blocks and/or a spare wheel as a safety measure,but do NOT use bricks.

I have jackstands. I agree that its not just our cars that are difficult to lift on stands - its most modern stuff. The question is how do you put the weight of the vehicle down onto a jackstand if there isn't a good place for the force of the jackstand (weight of the vehicle) to rest? The jack is used to get the vehicle in the air. The jackstand is used to support the vehicle because it doesn't rely on a hydraulic cylinder which can seep down.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1027857' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:47 PM
I have jackstands. I agree that its not just our cars that are difficult to lift on stands - its most modern stuff. The question is how do you put the weight of the vehicle down onto a jackstand if there isn't a good place for the force of the jackstand (weight of the vehicle) to rest? The jack is used to get the vehicle in the air. The jackstand is used to support the vehicle because it doesn't rely on a hydraulic cylinder which can seep down.
I use a hydraulic jack to lift the car and to take the weight,I wedge the jackstands with wooden blocks but only release the hydraulic jack enough to put a little weight on the jackstands.Therefore the jackstands are the "fail safe" supports,should the hydraulic jack fail.Touch wood,I've never had my hydraulic jack let me down.As I said ,common sense is needed on choosing support positions for the jackstands.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1027857' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:47 AM
You are correct. People don't realize the danger of using hydraulic jack to support the car. I worked in ground support and we use jacks to raise the vehicle up and then use jackstand to keep it high enough to work under the vehicle. Hydraulic jacks can fail without warning, a line raptures or a structure breaks, and it will be disastrous. I use a jackstand or another jack on a secondary lifting point on same axle.

For the front, there is a rectangular rubberlike piece (#9) that I use.

For the rear, I place the jackstand on the differential, avoiding the rear cover with fins.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I have found this to be the best safety device when using a jack:

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='1027895' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:28 PM
You are correct. People don't realize the danger of using hydraulic jack to support the car. I worked in ground support and we use jacks to raise the vehicle up and then use jackstand to keep it high enough to work under the vehicle. Hydraulic jacks can fail without warning, a line raptures or a structure breaks, and it will be disastrous. I use a jackstand or another jack on a secondary lifting point on same axle.

For the rear, I place the jackstand on the differential, avoiding the rear cover with fins.

Thanks! Is the car stable with only jack stands under the center pad and the diff? I read about using the diff as a jack point but wasn't sure if it was structurally sound enough to support ~1/2 the weight of the car?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='1027895' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks! Is the car stable with only jack stands under the center pad and the diff? I read about using the diff as a jack point but wasn't sure if it was structurally sound enough to support ~1/2 the weight of the car?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1027904' date='Oct 8 2009, 12:37 PM
The front is ok but for the rear I don't really put the weight of the car on jack or stand. It is just barely touching it as an insurance in case the other jack gives out.