E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jacking a 5-Series with Floor Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:54 PM
There are jackstand adapters.

Chere here with the Ultimate Garage - they should have them.
[snapback]187142[/snapback]
No luck ipse. The correspondence is below. Any other thoughts?

Me:

"Hi:

I think my subject line expresses my need. Mainly, I want to lift my
545i using my floor jack (and maybe use jack stands on it too). Is
there an adapter that would, for example, fit into the 545i's
rectangular jack receptacle and work with a standard floor jack (and/or jackstands)?

Thanks much,

donv"

Steve at UG:

"I would go with the DK20 ($280) or DK13HLQ ($440) if you need the longer reach to grab the front or rear subframes. The flat top jackstands should be plenty stable.....I don't know of an adapters that anyone has made for the 545i yet. Steve"
Old 10-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2014 535d M-Sport, sold 2006 530i Olivine Green, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation System

Thanks much. Mine is a Harbor Freight too--the very low race-type jack. It has a rubber pad too. Did you just put the jack over the rectangular jack-insertion space of the 5 Series?

I have the same jack from HFT. I just changed the oil today and jacked up the car at the jacking points without any additional adapters.

If you think about it, when the dealer puts the car on the lift they use the same exact RAISED surfaces.............
Old 10-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grease' date='Oct 22 2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks much. Mine is a Harbor Freight too--the very low race-type jack. It has a rubber pad too. Did you just put the jack over the rectangular jack-insertion space of the 5 Series?

I have the same jack from HFT. I just changed the oil today and jacked up the car at the jacking points without any additional adapters.

If you think about it, when the dealer puts the car on the lift they use the same exact RAISED surfaces.............
[snapback]187426[/snapback]
That's good to know. But, it is not necessarily obvious that some dealers don't use adapters--or that it wouldn't be better to use adapters. For example, with Corvettes, good dealers will automatically use jacking pucks (i.e., adapters) when putting them on racks. In any case, I ask if they are going to use pucks and, if not, insist that they use mine.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

I have used my floor jack with the round metal cups directly on the raised section of the BMW jacking points. I have done this several times and have had no problems so far.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 23 2005, 01:28 AM
I have used my floor jack with the round metal cups directly on the raised section of the BMW jacking points.? I have done this several times and have had no problems so far.
[snapback]187491[/snapback]
Thanks much rodybmw. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I still may improvise an adapter just for the heck of it. I'll post back if I come up with something easy/good. Wood is a medium that could be made to work very easily--properly sized rectangular piece screwed to an appropriately sized round, or whatever, piece.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:22 PM
[quote name='lcc014' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:55 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:09 PM']Hi Friends:

I will be changing my new wheels/real tires back to my original wheels/run flats for trips. I want to use my floor jack. But, I have looked at the slots the BMW jack fits into. And, of course, floor-jack pads will not fit into the slot. Is there a problem lifting the car with the floor jack covering the protruding walls of the rectangular slots? That is, if I use the floor jack this way, then will the protruding walls break? Another possibility is to place an appropriately sized block of wood into the slot so that the protruding walls don't touch the floor jack. Is there an after-market jacking assist that has a round "puck" that (1) will fit on the round pads of typical floor jacks and (2) is attached to a rectangular portion that will fit into the rectangular slots?
[snapback]187071[/snapback]
I used my floor jack to rise the car for installing the mudflap. My floor jack has a square rubber pad instead of the round metal cap/cup. I got my jack and rubber pad from Harbor frieght tool.
[snapback]187199[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks much. Mine is a Harbor Freight too--the very low race-type jack. It has a rubber pad too. Did you just put the jack over the rectangular jack-insertion space of the 5 Series?
[snapback]187204[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, the insertion space behind the front wheels, before the rear wheels. No problem at all.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lcc014' date='Oct 24 2005, 01:21 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:22 PM'][quote name='lcc014' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:55 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:09 PM']Hi Friends:

I will be changing my new wheels/real tires back to my original wheels/run flats for trips. I want to use my floor jack. But, I have looked at the slots the BMW jack fits into. And, of course, floor-jack pads will not fit into the slot. Is there a problem lifting the car with the floor jack covering the protruding walls of the rectangular slots? That is, if I use the floor jack this way, then will the protruding walls break? Another possibility is to place an appropriately sized block of wood into the slot so that the protruding walls don't touch the floor jack. Is there an after-market jacking assist that has a round "puck" that (1) will fit on the round pads of typical floor jacks and (2) is attached to a rectangular portion that will fit into the rectangular slots?
[snapback]187071[/snapback]
I used my floor jack to rise the car for installing the mudflap. My floor jack has a square rubber pad instead of the round metal cap/cup. I got my jack and rubber pad from Harbor frieght tool.
[snapback]187199[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks much. Mine is a Harbor Freight too--the very low race-type jack. It has a rubber pad too. Did you just put the jack over the rectangular jack-insertion space of the 5 Series?
[snapback]187204[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, the insertion space behind the front wheels, before the rear wheels. No problem at all.
[snapback]188096[/snapback]
[/quote]
Great. Thanks much.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Members

Well, I haven't lifted my E60 (actually, no reason yo thus far) but from the descriptions, it sounds like the E39 has the same rectangular jack pads fore and aft of the wheels.

If so, then no biggie to lift it there...I've done about 30-40 CDV jobs on the E39 and thus have lifted cars from these points all the time. Actually, on most of the E39s, I have to do a double-lift:

Lift from the rear of the front wheel in order to raise the front enough to slide my floor jack under the car to lift from the center mount under the engine.

Then I jack it up until my jack won't go no more and then let 'er down on a pair of jackstands placed aft of each front wheel.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 24 2005, 07:21 PM
Well, I haven't lifted my E60 (actually, no reason yo thus far) but from the descriptions, it sounds like the E39 has the same rectangular jack pads fore and aft of the wheels.

If so, then no biggie to lift it there...I've done about 30-40 CDV jobs on the E39 and thus have lifted cars from these points all the time.? Actually, on most of the E39s, I have to do a double-lift:

Lift from the rear of the front wheel in order to raise the front enough to slide my floor jack under the car to lift from the center mount under the engine.

Then I jack it up until my jack won't go no more and then let 'er down on a pair of jackstands placed aft of each front wheel.
[snapback]188227[/snapback]
Yep, I've had to do the same thing on cars before. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I have used a floor jack also, but I put a small piece of wood in between the car and jack.

Quick Reply: Jacking a 5-Series with Floor Jack?