E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jacking a 5-Series with Floor Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

I will be changing my new wheels/real tires back to my original wheels/run flats for trips. I want to use my floor jack. But, I have looked at the slots the BMW jack fits into. And, of course, floor-jack pads will not fit into the slot. Is there a problem lifting the car with the floor jack covering the protruding walls of the rectangular slots? That is, if I use the floor jack this way, then will the protruding walls break? Another possibility is to place an appropriately sized block of wood into the slot so that the protruding walls don't touch the floor jack. Is there an after-market jacking assist that has a round "puck" that (1) will fit on the round pads of typical floor jacks and (2) is attached to a rectangular portion that will fit into the rectangular slots?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

I had the same question, I went out and looked, and Im like you I don't know if I should use my floor jack, hopefully someone does know, because if I call and ask BMW they are going to tell me to bring it to them to charge me an extra 50 bucks to jack the car, plus I like to torque the lugs to the right torque specs.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributors

I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago when I put on my new wheels. I ended up using the jack in the trunk. That thing is great! It's well designed and easy to operate. I don't think my floor jack would have saved me any time. Get it out and try it, I'd like to know what you think of it.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

There are jackstand adapters.

Chere here with the Ultimate Garage - they should have them.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

I used my floor jack (bought at Sears) and had no problems........don't know if this helps.....
Old 10-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:54 PM
There are jackstand adapters.

Chere here with the Ultimate Garage - they should have them.
[snapback]187142[/snapback]
Thanks much. I haven't located them yet, but will keep looking. A jackstand adapter might work. I'll let you know if I find them.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:53 PM
I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago when I put on my new wheels.? I ended up using the jack in the trunk.? That thing is great!? It's well designed and easy to operate.? I don't think my floor jack would have saved me any time.? Get it out and try it, I'd like to know what you think of it.
[snapback]187141[/snapback]
Thank you very much. I'll keep what you say in mind and post back if I use it. I am sure you are right about how well it works. I won't be changing the wheels until Xmas.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Oct 21 2005, 06:27 PM
I used my floor jack (bought at Sears) and had no problems........don't know if this helps.....
[snapback]187145[/snapback]
It might help; thank you. Are you saying that you put the jacking pad of the Sears jack over the protruding rectangular walls of the BMW jack-insertion area?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Friends:

I will be changing my new wheels/real tires back to my original wheels/run flats for trips. I want to use my floor jack. But, I have looked at the slots the BMW jack fits into. And, of course, floor-jack pads will not fit into the slot. Is there a problem lifting the car with the floor jack covering the protruding walls of the rectangular slots? That is, if I use the floor jack this way, then will the protruding walls break? Another possibility is to place an appropriately sized block of wood into the slot so that the protruding walls don't touch the floor jack. Is there an after-market jacking assist that has a round "puck" that (1) will fit on the round pads of typical floor jacks and (2) is attached to a rectangular portion that will fit into the rectangular slots?
[snapback]187071[/snapback]
I used my floor jack to rise the car for installing the mudflap. My floor jack has a square rubber pad instead of the round metal cap/cup. I got my jack and rubber pad from Harbor frieght tool.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lcc014' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:55 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:09 PM']Hi Friends:

[snapback]187071[/snapback]
I used my floor jack to rise the car for installing the mudflap. My floor jack has a square rubber pad instead of the round metal cap/cup. I got my jack and rubber pad from Harbor frieght tool.
[snapback]187199[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks much. Mine is a Harbor Freight too--the very low race-type jack. It has a rubber pad too. Did you just put the jack over the rectangular jack-insertion space of the 5 Series?

Quick Reply: Jacking a 5-Series with Floor Jack?