E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jack lift points and hydralic lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok, so I picked up a pair of tires from TireRack for winter driving. I was amazed when I asked my dealer how much he charged to take off the old tires and put the new ones on (they are already mounted and balanced) - he quoted me $50.

For that price, I have decided to invest in a hydralic jack and change the tires myself.

SO, here's the question - I looked in the owners manual for placement of the scissors jack. Should I use the same point for a hydralic jack?

What is the weight that I should get a jack for? is a 2 1/4 ton jack enough?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 PM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

Originally Posted by GadgetKing' date='Dec 3 2004, 04:09 PM
Ok, so I picked up a pair of tires from TireRack for winter driving. I was amazed when I asked my dealer how much he charged to take off the old tires and put the new ones on (they are already mounted and balanced) - he quoted me $50.

For that price, I have decided to invest in a hydralic jack and change the tires myself.

SO, here's the question - I looked in the owners manual for placement of the scissors jack. Should I use the same point for a hydralic jack?

Thanks!
[snapback]64190[/snapback]

I used the standard jack supplied in the trunk to change mine...worked great. The standard jack fits snuggly into the slots under the car and does the job well...may want to save yourself some additional cash and forego the hydraulic...would recommend investing in a torque wrench if you don't have one.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I use an hydrolic jack (little investments wich saves loads of time) and use the original jackpoints with the hydrolic one. Works like a charm. Changing all 4 wheels in 40 minutes.. I also bougth a tengtools appliance and turn the nuts on to 110 nm.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Yeah the jack is a great investment... you don;t need to spin crank the car up just a coouple pushes and saves loads of time... I got one so I could put on my rims and jsut recently used it to thake them off for the winter... weight? not sre on that get one that looks like it can hold the car up lol hell u see how dinky the jack BMW gives you
Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Dec 3 2004, 08:06 PM
not sre on that get one that looks like it can hold the car up lol hell u see how dinky the jack BMW gives you
Agree, becareful about the BMW jacks. Some E46 owners have had their jacks collapse on them, not sure if the jacks are similar on the E60. Just a warning =)
Old 12-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GadgetKing' date='Dec 3 2004, 05:09 PM

Thanks!
[snapback]64190[/snapback]
If you're going to do this yourself invest in a jack. A 1.5 ton is more than sufficent. Use the standard jack points, pump it up one tire at a time (not the whole side of the car).

Also invest in a torque wrench 1/2" drive and a 17mm deep socket for it. You can get this for under $30 at Harbor Freight.

Changing your own is quick, simple and you get a sense of satisfaction you don't get with using plastic (credit card).
Old 12-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Dec 3 2004, 03:31 PM
I also bougth a tengtools appliance and turn the nuts on to 110 nm.
Doesn't the manual indicate this should be at 120Nm? I thought it did.

Originally Posted by OddOrEven' date='Dec 5 2004, 09:41 AM
If you're going to do this yourself invest in a jack.? A 1.5 ton is more than sufficent.? Use the standard jack points, pump it up one tire at a time (not the whole side of the car).
Just and FYI -- Make sure you measure the jack's head height. I have a larger one and its height is such that it doesn't fit under the car in the front if I want to utilize the jack-points. Back is fine but now I have to jack it up heigh enough to also lift the front (which is not what I wanted to do but that's the only way that works now). BTW, I have the SP so I think that makes it somewhat lower than the standard.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

very timely post...

just ordered new rims and tires and hoping for delivery this week and was deciding if I should do myself or have the dealer. Have no idea if the dealer is going to charge me. If so, I'll do myself.

I might get a hydrolic jack anyway and it would be a cool thing to have...you never know when you might need it!