E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I've only had my E60 for 6 days...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve only had my E60 for 6 days and I already have a flat tyre, or so the car is telling me. I have a Pre-LCI car so I think it is fitted with the FTM system (I think this is the case as I don?t have metal valve stems that the later TPMS system has).

I?m stuck at work at the moment so I haven?t had chance to check the pressures and I was just wondering what the odds are on me having a flat or could it just be a false alarm? (he says hoping for the best)

Does anyone know how accurate the system is (i.e. how much pressure do you have to loose before it alarms)?

The sooner I upgrade to 19's and get rid of the runflats the better.

If it makes any difference I?ve got the UK Spec 18? M Sport Alloys with the 245/40/18 Goodyear tyres.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

I'd go check your pressures, reset the TPM then drive around for a bit (I know having to drive your car around aimlessly is a hardship when you first buy a car, but stick with it! )

I've had a couple of false alarms myself. Usually a little after having new tyres fitted. The fitter obviously didn't reset the TPM correctly.

Good luck and get rid of those run flats ASAP!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Check you pressure but I had the FTM on my old 545 warn me of a flat tire when one was a little as 5 psi lower than the rest. Could be one is simply a bit low. But even that could indicate a slow leak caused by a puncture. I've had that as well, warning when pressure get a little low. Tire is not flat but upon inspection found a small nail in the tread...
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i SE, 04, 18" 245s, Sapphire Black, Cream leather.

Originally Posted by Tunbridge' post='802074' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:39 AM
I?ve only had my E60 for 6 days and I already have a flat tyre, or so the car is telling me. I have a Pre-LCI car so I think it is fitted with the FTM system (I think this is the case as I don?t have metal valve stems that the later TPMS system has).

I?m stuck at work at the moment so I haven?t had chance to check the pressures and I was just wondering what the odds are on me having a flat or could it just be a false alarm? (he says hoping for the best)

Does anyone know how accurate the system is (i.e. how much pressure do you have to loose before it alarms)?

The sooner I upgrade to 19's and get rid of the runflats the better.

If it makes any difference I?ve got the UK Spec 18? M Sport Alloys with the 245/40/18 Goodyear tyres.
Its strange but it's happened to me twice.
On the porsche I owned I got a flat battery and 2 flat tyres in the first couple of months and then nothing like that for 5 years.
Since I got the BMW in June I've had 2 flats. I fixed one and then within 20 miles more driving I got another. I thought it was the same tyre but it was a different one.
These things happen.
Personally I like runflats.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Our older E60s rely on indirect sensing of tire pressure via rotational speed at each wheel. So the system is telling you that something is different from when it was last reset. I've only had the system yell at me twice: once when I changed wheels and forgot to reset it in iDrive; and once when a tire was down to 24 psi from the 34 psi it was originally set at.
So the best course of action is to check the pressures and pump them to the levels you want - and reset the system at that baseline.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

I've just checked all the tyres and they were all down on what they should be:

FR = 1.6bar (should be 2.0bar)
FL = 1.6bar (should be 2.0bar)
RR = 1.35bar (should be 2.4bar)
RL = 2.0bar (Should be 2.4bar)

I've put them all back to were they should be and reset the system and so far so good. After a 20min drive round no errors. I'll see what tomorrows trip to work brings.

There was no visible damage to the RR, although it's hard to tell in the dark. So it could just be the valve or something, time will tell.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525DSE Auto Touring. 2004 54 plate Metalic saffire Black, Active Steering. 18 Inch Style 124 Alloys, falken 452s Beige Leather Dark Poplar Wood Trim xenon bulb upgrade blutooth phone prep

i have had low pressure warning 3 times each time pressures were just a little bit low just redid pressures and reset
then everything ok for ages the main problem i have had with my goodyear runflats is bulges i had to change one in
october 08 because of a bulge and when washing car on sunday noticed another one both of them have been on the front the rears are getting low so bit the bullit and ordered 4 new falken 452s 245/40/18s they should arrive tommorrow
i think the problem with runflats is that the sidewalls are so hard that if you hit a big pothole there is no give and creates
bulges the one i had replaced in october had like a tear inside the tyre where the bulge was. both tyres were reasonably
new both had 5 to 6 mm of tread on them