E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Irritating wheel noice & vibrating steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Hello forum members,

I have to ask for your help. From first kilometers with my brand new LCI 525iA M-Sport 06/08 I have had the following "problem":
- high frequency noise coming from left front of the car - the noise is depending on the road surface. Rough, worn surface causes more noice than new tarmac
- steering wheel is also vibrating slightly, having obviously the same frequency
- the dealer decided to change the bearings of left front wheel - didn't help
- I and the dealer thaught that it might be due to RF tires, but today I tried soft winter tires that are non RFT - the noise and vibration were still there, not as strong but still almost the same
- I have had two E60s before with sport suspension and RF tires, I never noticed this kind of noise or vibration in either of them - the current one is an M-Sport version, I don't know how much it differs compared to sport suspension
- I think that the tires and bearings are ok, it's more question of that the vibration that is caused by the uneven rough road surface is somehow transmitted into the car and steering wheel

The noise is irritating and loud enogh that you hear it even if the fan and audio are on.

My dealer is now checking the BMW database in Munich for this kind of a case, but I would really appreciate any similar experiences and especially if somebody has a solution for this.

This really needs to be solved - it's destroying the joy of driving a BMW.

Best regards from Finland,

Jukka
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

more than likely you need your wheels balanced and re torque your lug nuts.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by KU530' post='679014' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:44 PM
more than likely you need your wheels balanced and re torque your lug nuts.
Hi KU530,

Thank you for your comment
Wheel balance is ok - and the vibration frequency is much much higher than in case where the vibration is caused by bad wheel balance. The car is also brand new - so everything should still be tight

BR

Jukka
Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

do u have rft??? that mite be a resone... other then that are u running on oem wheels??? if not that mite be a resone.. and the last thing is your tiers mite need to be replaced.... other then that you got me.. good luck hope it turns out well....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='679043' date='Sep 26 2008, 08:06 PM
do u have rft??? that mite be a resone... other then that are u running on oem wheels??? if not that mite be a resone.. and the last thing is your tiers mite need to be replaced.... other then that you got me.. good luck hope it turns out well....
Hi 530iSport,

The car is completely in Factory settings: RFTs with 135M oem wheels. As I wrote, I have tried a second set of tires - no help.

Thanks anyway,

Jukka