E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPOD slow scroll fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY08 535i with 6FL option, picked up Munich July 9 (June production). I have no idea what progman version I have. I've been experiencing two annoying issues:
1) iDrive freeze (happened once while touring Europe, on Nav screen, once this morning on the Accept screen)
2) Scrolling is ridiculously slow on the song list, making use of a fully loaded (5000+) songs practically impossible.

I've seen some comments that appear to indicate there is a program update out there that fixes item 2 and provides fast scrolling. I realize an update may, or may not, fix item 1.

Can anyone confirm if such an update exists, what the likely CIP is for my car (factory) and, possibly, what specific complaint to voice so that the upgrade will get done. I don't want to "fabricate" a complaint, but there may be an issue that I haven't discovered yet, that I can test against, and use if it does happen.

Of course I can make the "slow scrolling, unusable iPOD" complaint, but I doubt very much that they'll accept that as a reason for upgrade (although it should be!)

--dolf
Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Members

Indeed scrolling is slow in songlist, but even with a fully loaded iPod the artist and album list are slow.
A solution I found on one of the beemer forums was the following:
1. Put the first letter of the artist in the Genre field of the MP3 field.
2. Now, when you want to listen to an album of a certain artist use the Genres option in the iDrive
3. A list of the 26 letters of the alphabet shows up
4. pick the letter from the first letter of the artist name
5. All artist with a name starting with that letter show up
6. Pick your artist
7. A list with all the albums of that artist pop up
8. Pick your album and listen

Additionally I put the word 'Compilation' in the Genre field for all the songs of my compilation albums
Same here :
1. Pick Compilations in the Genres List
2. A List With compilation Album names appears
3. Pick your album and listen

This is not really a fix for your problem, but sure it is a good workaround. One backdraw is that you loose the Genre information of your music collection, but I wasn't using that anyway.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by cave' post='483798' date='Oct 20 2007, 01:12 PM
Indeed scrolling is slow in songlist, but even with a fully loaded iPod the artist and album list are slow.
A solution I found on one of the beemer forums was the following:
1. Put the first letter of the artist in the Genre field of the MP3 field.
2. Now, when you want to listen to an album of a certain artist use the Genres option in the iDrive
3. A list of the 26 letters of the alphabet shows up
4. pick the letter from the first letter of the artist name
5. All artist with a name starting with that letter show up
6. Pick your artist
7. A list with all the albums of that artist pop up
8. Pick your album and listen

Additionally I put the word 'Compilation' in the Genre field for all the songs of my compilation albums
Same here :
1. Pick Compilations in the Genres List
2. A List With compilation Album names appears
3. Pick your album and listen

This is not really a fix for your problem, but sure it is a good workaround. One backdraw is that you loose the Genre information of your music collection, but I wasn't using that anyway.
Brilliant idea about the Genre field - thanks very much!

I had already created an A-Z for songs using playlists but this will really help scrolling through artists.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Members

New CIP!