E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPod connector/adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

I've got an LCI '08 535i. It came with a cable/adaptor (USB and 3.5mm jack) that goes from inside the center console to hook up the iPod/iPhone.

But when I plug in my iPhone 3G, I get the incompatibility message asking if I want to turn on Airplane mode. Obviously, I decline Airplane mode.

The weird thing is I can't hear any sounds from the iPhone...no keyboard clicks, no sound when you slide your finger across to unlock the phone, etc...

If I unplug the iPhone, everything works fine and sounds come back. Any of you guys experience this? It's really annoying to miss messages while I'm listening to my mp3's.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Contributors

are you controlling your iphone with your idrive? if so, your phone IS in airplane mode, also known as iPod mode. are you using the ipod adapter? or the phone cradle?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='930438' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:24 AM
are you controlling your iphone with your idrive? if so, your phone IS in airplane mode, also known as iPod mode. are you using the ipod adapter? or the phone cradle?
Sounds like he has the iPod/USB option in the center console. I have this as well and get the same airplane mode message, which I also ignore. Even if you are controlling the iPod function thru the iDrive, you are not in airplane mode. I have made and received calls while the iPhone is plugged in, so clearly not in airplane mode which disables all the wireless functions.

I will have to test the sounds issue, simply never noticed as my daily commute is less than 10 minutes each way...
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='930438
Sounds like he has the iPod/USB option in the center console. I have this as well and get the same airplane mode message, which I also ignore. Even if you are controlling the iPod function thru the iDrive, you are not in airplane mode. I have made and received calls while the iPhone is plugged in, so clearly not in airplane mode which disables all the wireless functions.

I will have to test the sounds issue, simply never noticed as my daily commute is less than 10 minutes each way...
to clarify, I can receive and make phone calls on the iPhone, through the iPhone itself or through BMW's idrive system or voice control navigation. i can also MAKE and SEND text messages on the iPhone (no way to do that through BMW's idrive or voice navigation system, although it would be pretty good idea.)

furthermore, if i am listening to mp3's from my iPhone, via AUX mode (u know, WB, SAT, FM, AM, CD, AUX....), the sounds from the iPhone WILL WORK, i.e. the keyboard clicks when u text a message, the sound of unlocking the iPhone when you slide your finger across, etc, etc. again, the sounds WILL WORK only when the iPhone is in AUX mode, listening to mp3's.

so basically, my problem is that UNLESS i am listening to mp3's (so no Sirius Radio, no FM radio, no CD's), i will have no audible alert telling me that i have an email, a voicemail, a text message, a calendar alert....NOTHING. which sucks because I love my Sirius satellite radio. i miss text messages all the time while i'm driving, listening to Jamie Foxx or Howard Stern or Playboy.

YES, i know that the simple option would be to just keep my iPhone unplugged and not connected to the iPod/USB cable. but with my iPhone usage, i'm usually draining the battery, and the iPod/USB cable allows me to charge the iPhone while connected in addition to allowing me to access the mp3's on the phone.

kscarrol, please tell me if you notice the loss of keyboard clicks, text message alerts, etc., when you've got your iPhone plugged in.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

I don't hear any of the native Iphone noises when I have it plugged into my USB input on my X5 E70. The one thing that I still cannot understand is why do i not need the AUX input like everyone else here. I just plug in my ipod cable to my phone and to the USB port and that is it. Everything works. Is this because I have the AUX input with Ipod option and not just the AUX input?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='930611' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:16 AM
I just plug in my ipod cable to my phone and to the USB port and that is it.
hey mrv99, just to clarify are you ONLY leaving the USB portion of the cable plugged in and not the 3.5 mm headphone jack? in other words, one side of the cable goes into your iphone, the other side of the cable splits into a USB and a 3.5 mm headphone jack, so you just have the USB end from the split plugged in?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

To clarify. I take my white iPod cable, plug it into the USB port and only plug the iPod end into mu iPod and that is it. I do not need any aux cable from the headphone port of my iPod to the aux input in the car. It acts exactly like my iPod adapter that I have in my 2004 545.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='930708' date='Jul 2 2009, 11:39 AM
To clarify. I take my white iPod cable, plug it into the USB port and only plug the iPod end into mu iPod and that is it. I do not need any aux cable from the headphone port of my iPod to the aux input in the car. It acts exactly like my iPod adapter that I have in my 2004 545.

where do you plug in your iPod cable?

1) here?

or

2) here?

also, you mentioned your cable is white...so i'm assuming your cable DOES NOT look like this:

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Ok let me try again. In my x5 e70 I open the arm rest where the USB and aux Jack is located. I then take the white iPod cable which came with my iPod and I insert the USB end into the USB port. I then shut half my arm rest, center the iPod cable from apple and shut the other half so I have about 1 foot sticking out. Then I plug in my iPod and let it sit in the cup holder. I then using the idrive controler choose the aux input in the list. Once I do that I drop down to the next level of the menu, select iPod (NOT AUX) and then proceede to choose the album or playlist and choose the song and music starts to play out of the speakers in my car. When I talk about the iPod adapter in the glove box in my 545, I am using the 3 foot cable(black) which came with the adapter which replaced my 6 disk changer only in my 545. I guess if you need more clarification I could video the steps and post it
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='930998' date='Jul 2 2009, 04:25 PM
Ok let me try again. In my x5 e70 I open the arm rest where the USB and aux Jack is located. I then take the white iPod cable which came with my iPod and I insert the USB end into the USB port. I then shut half my arm rest, center the iPod cable from apple and shut the other half so I have about 1 foot sticking out. Then I plug in my iPod and let it sit in the cup holder. I then using the idrive controler choose the aux input in the list. Once I do that I drop down to the next level of the menu, select iPod (NOT AUX) and then proceede to choose the album or playlist and choose the song and music starts to play out of the speakers in my car. When I talk about the iPod adapter in the glove box in my 545, I am using the 3 foot cable(black) which came with the adapter which replaced my 6 disk changer only in my 545. I guess if you need more clarification I could video the steps and post it

got it, in your x5 e70 your using the cable that came in the box with your ipod. interesting that it works like that, i wonder if the white cable that came with the iphone will work in the e60's in lieu of the black cable with the 2 split ends.

anyhow back on topic, anybody else come across any solutions as to why the ipod/iphone's native sounds don't work when connected?

Quick Reply: iPod connector/adaptor