E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ipod Component - In place of 6-disc changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='522124' date='Jan 23 2008, 11:50 PM
To clarify, the adapter replaces the six CD options with CD1*, CD2* etc, which are by function: Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs etc. Basically the same functions of an iPod or the UBS in newer cars. The day-to-day use is not as functional. The random function is marginal, though I find it only somewhat better in my new 550 with the USB option. I find both repeating songs and artisits way more than my stand-alone Nano does. At least in the software version I have, when you stop the car, the iPod restarted at the beginning of the song rather than simply picking up where the song stopped. Over all I found it a very fair trade-off compared to the six-disc changer in my old 545 and would recommend it. Now if the six-disc changer would play MP3's, that would be a different story...
Sorry for the mis-information. I must have a short memory. It was just 3 months ago. You are correct. CD1 selected playlists, CD2 selected artists, etc. Once in the menu of play lists, artists etc, you could choose one. Once in the song list, the song and artist were properly displayed. It is true that the '08 USB option provides a more mature, integrated interface. However, with the new interface, as mentioned, I hate the fact that upon restarting the car, I loose the song list of the play list or artist that I was on. It just shows "now playing" and the one song. I can't choose a new song in the list. I have to go back into "playlists", reselect the playlist I was on, and then scroll to the song I want.

On the 650i, it would go back into the playlist and restart the song that it was on. I actually liked it starting the song over but that would be bad if you had a long "book on MP3" or something that you didn't want repeated.

What the new interface REALLY needs is an alphabetized shortcut method, either like the address book or like entering a Nav city or street. I hate scrolling thru 300 artists all the way down to ZZ Top. Although, that would only work if the list (playlist, artists, etc) were alphabetized.

PS: The improved scroll speed seems to be more a function of the new non-feedback controller. It helps but still takes a while to scroll a long list.