E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ipod aux in glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

ok this may seem like a dumb question, but I started using the aux input in my glovebox for my ipod. problem that I'm running into is closing the glove box with the cord plugged in. at first I thought it was just the wire that pinches around the edges of the glove box and wouldn't close. I wanted to leave the ipod plugged in, close the glove box and leave the ipod outside near the center console so I could control it. I couldn't get the glove box to close so I tried to just put the whole ipod and the cord into the glove box but I still couldn't close it. when the glove box closes, it pushes up against the connector where the aux input is and it craps out the quality of the sound and it doesn't clear the glove box to close.

what are you guys with aux in and ipods doing? Where do you put your ipods and how are you guys closing your glovebox with the ipod plugged in??

TIA!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver Premium, Cold Weather, Sports Package Sirius, iPod, Comfort Access

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8' post='505992' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:07 PM
ok this may seem like a dumb question, but I started using the aux input in my glovebox for my ipod. problem that I'm running into is closing the glove box with the cord plugged in. at first I thought it was just the wire that pinches around the edges of the glove box and wouldn't close. I wanted to leave the ipod plugged in, close the glove box and leave the ipod outside near the center console so I could control it. I couldn't get the glove box to close so I tried to just put the whole ipod and the cord into the glove box but I still couldn't close it. when the glove box closes, it pushes up against the connector where the aux input is and it craps out the quality of the sound and it doesn't clear the glove box to close.

what are you guys with aux in and ipods doing? Where do you put your ipods and how are you guys closing your glovebox with the ipod plugged in??

TIA!
i'm able to squeeze my 5th gen ipod in. you just have to manipulate the cords to fit in.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by livnforyou' post='506011' date='Dec 12 2007, 01:46 PM
i'm able to squeeze my 5th gen ipod in. you just have to manipulate the cords to fit in.
+1, no problem closing the glovebox...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I actually took a more involved approach and built an extension to the Aux into the center console. I found this solution a good excuse to snip the components out of the aux wire. So now the normal one in the glove has the components and the one in the console is without.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

?!? i'll have to give it more time and fiddle with it then. I tried yesterday for like 20 mins and got fed up and drove around with the glove box open. it seems like the line out end plug is too long and ends up getting pushed on when the glove box goes up to close and latch. i didn't want to force it out of fear of breaking the plug at the end of the cord or somehow bending/breaking the aux in.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='506017' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:56 PM
I actually took a more involved approach and built an extension to the Aux into the center console. I found this solution a good excuse to snip the components out of the aux wire. So now the normal one in the glove has the components and the one in the console is without.
Thats what i'm thinking about doing, i'm at BMW right now getting the input put in, its been 3 hours i'm just sitting here!! anyways i have a 6 speed so i don't want a wire coming out of my Glovebox and around, so i think i'm going to try to run the male to male wire down the side from the glovebox and to the armrest and have the Ipod sit there
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Why not install the kit that let's you operate your ipod through the idrive?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='506050' date='Dec 12 2007, 03:14 PM
Duh! I didn't read his post clearly, yes, get the iPod adaptor installed instead. You'll give up the 6-disc changer but that way you can leave the iPod in the glovebox and control from the iDrive...
Old 12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='506050' date='Dec 12 2007, 04:14 PM

Its over $500 for the kit alone + the labour!

it took them over 4 hours to install my aux thing in the glovebox today and update idrive to include AUX option.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tarek307' post='506118' date='Dec 12 2007, 07:47 PM
Its over $500 for the kit alone + the labour!

it took them over 4 hours to install my aux thing in the glovebox today and update idrive to include AUX option.
Most people pay less than $500 for the kit and labor.

Getting an aux-in installed (with 4 hours of labor to boot) when you have an iPod is plain foolish.

Quick Reply: ipod aux in glovebox