E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPhone (or other smartphone) Dock placement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, just wondering where everybody mounts their phone and what phone holder they use. Are there any BMW specific docks we can use (solely for holding, no aux in and doesnt have to charge (but would be nice)

Places that are a no go is the windscreen!!! What about vent holders? Pics would be nice
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Maybe contact mentholguy about this

iPhone (or other smartphone) Dock placement?-iphone.jpg
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Check out http://specdock.com/.

I have this installed. Looks great and the phone sits nice and solid.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Stock dock can be picked up on ebay for around 100 bucks and it fits nice and snug (if you don't have a cover on your iphone). You get charging and connection to the roof mounted antenna so why would you want anything else, unless you car is not prepared for snap-in adapters?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Stock dock can be picked up on ebay for around 100 bucks and it fits nice and snug (if you don't have a cover on your iphone). You get charging and connection to the roof mounted antenna so why would you want anything else, unless you car is not prepared for snap-in adapters?
The stock connector won't give you any iPod functions will it? I don't know anyone that doesn't use a phone protector - who wants to remove that all the time? The antenna connection would be helpful but I think there are too many cons for my taste.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

nope, no ipod functions but that has nothing to do with the adapter, that's the bluetooth interface limitation. Anyhow, I have a seperate ipod, don't use my phone as a music player.

I don't remove the phone protector on short trips, the phone simply goes in my pocket or the door pocket. I use the adapter in any one of three circumstances.

- when the trip is longer than 40 mins
- when the phone is low on battery
- when I'm in an area with poor reception, such as the sticks my summerhouse is located in
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

I have the standard nokia snap in adapter, hve read an iphone4 snap in is released in december but to be honest I would either forget it in there or wouldn't use it. Rather have it near the vents as theres a small lag with the Bluetooth and nice to see who's calling quicker (harder to forget) so might have to find an air vent 1