E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone / iTouch ODB II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

WOW, so I saw this little device in the Crutchfield catelog...I am not sure if this should be in the phone section or not, but i am curious, does anyone on there have this???

I was thinking about buying my onwn ODB-II handheld, but might opt for this instead if anyone here has any good things to say bout this device/app???

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Cool! That looks slick. I might have to pick one up.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

interesting
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys
WOW, so I saw this little device in the Crutchfield catelog...I am not sure if this should be in the phone section or not, but i am curious, does anyone on there have this???

I was thinking about buying my onwn ODB-II handheld, but might opt for this instead if anyone here has any good things to say bout this device/app???

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/
This has been available for some time now. A vendor actually has it availble up on thier site now for $150

(text copied and pasted from thier site)

WiFi OBII Data Broadcaster [PLX-KIWI-01] See Below for Pricing

Kiwi Wifi is a plug and play wireless device measuring only 2.75 x 1.25 x 0.6 inches. It broadcasts all of your OBDII data via WiFi (802.11a/b/g) in real time.

Why would you want that?

Well, when this data is broadcasted out, you can use various WiFi enabled devices to monitor and control it.
Suddenly, your laptop, iPod touch, or iPhone becomes a powerful tool which can display graphs and charts of such information as:

RPM
Fuel Consumption
Boost/Vacuum
Vehicle Speed
Throttle position
Oil temperature
Air intake temperature
Mass Air Flow
Vapor Pressure
Fuel Level
Timing
And much more!

But that's not all! In addition to all this, some software suites will allow you to perform more advanced features, such as:

Data logging via PC or iPhone/iPod Touch
OBDII Code scanning (and resetting!)

....All from up to 50 feet away!

When you consider that many OBDII code scanners alone, with only a fraction of these functions, cost $160, this makes the Kiwi WiFi a great value!

Kiwi Wifi comes attached with a 6 ft OBDII cable for easy installation. It also comes included with a power switch built-in to prevent the need for having to constantly disconnect your unit from the OBDII port. It is compatible with 1996 and later vehicles. Connecting to your iPhone / iPod touch is made by 802.11a/b/gconnection in adHoc mode.

This unit is upgradeable to Kiwi Wifi + iMFD for more advanced data with up to 32 add-on sensors.

We recommend Rev Software by DevToaster, available in the App Store [ end of text ]

I have never used one of these personally, but have taken the time to review its contents and (possible capabilties) If you are absolutely in love with the fact that you can do all it says it can from the iphone, then go for it. ( I have a frind who is an iphone apps whore )

Pros; it interfaces with your iphone, attractive color disply via iphone, wireless capabilities, expansion capabilities: pick and choose which ones you want and you don't have to buy the ones you don't need, data logging capabilities

Cons; Price at $150 usd it isn't doing anything more than a unit priced at $80-$130 is doing, Doesn't support abs and or tramsmission interface as other similaryly priced units. Expansion adaptor module will cost an extra $100. while I can see how this is an attractive option for some, The add on modules ( on top of the $150 + $100 )aren't exactly cheap. Here is the price break down ranging from $89.99-199.99:

Upgrade - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Module + Bosch Wideband O2 Sensor $199.99

Upgrade - Air Intake Temperature Sensor Module (No Sensor) $ 89.99

Upgrade - Air Intake Temperature Sensor Module + AIT Sensor $125.99

Upgrade - Boost & Vacuum Sensor Module $ 99.99

Upgrade - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Module (No Sensor) $ 89.99

Upgrade - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Module (With Sensor) $125.99

Upgrade - Fluid Temperature Sensor Module - 1 Sensor $ 89.99

Upgrade - Fluid Temperature Sensor Module - 2 Sensors $109.99

Upgrade - Oil Pressure Sensor Module $129.99

If just for obd2 code reading and erasing, a $49 costco unit would easily do the job. A $100 Equus unit will do what the base model of kiwi will do, and if you spend a $70-100 more you can have abs capabilities as well as c.a.n. communications, as well as a very sturdy unit that will last 8 years as it has for me. Hope this info helps with your decisions