E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone craddle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to this site, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339865 , I need to get the 6NF cradle in the arm rest.

Now my question is, how do i know if the car has the smart phone integration installed or not .(6NF)

I called the dealer and told me that the iphone cradle is actually for the ipod and that the iphone will have some difficulty to be plugged in as it is slightly bigger then the ipod.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Contributors

anyone?

its for my father's 08 530i.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 530i, M-Sport Option, Remus Exhaust, K&N Filter

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='973371' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:28 PM
anyone?

its for my father's 08 530i.
Hey BTeljuice,
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood the question
Why do you need to plug in the iPhone ?
It will just work, unless the US 530i is different (doubt it), I am in Australia.
I have paired my iPhone 3G with a 2004, 2005 & 2009 530i & my current 325i - (soon to be in possession of 2005 530i M Sport), the contact list downloads from phone to car no probs.
Why would you need to plug it in, My 325i iPhone adapter is not actually compatible with the iPhone it does however work with the iPod Nano ...
If you want to charge the iPhone, you can get a cigarette lighter adapter to charge it, but Bluetooth works good, you will need to follow the pairing instructions in the manual.
The BMW Bluetooth is one of the better ones, ignore the crap about only specific phones being compatible, the iPhone does work.

Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I think hes on about using the iphones music in the car as well as the phone side of it. For that the car needs to have 6FL USB/Audio option installed and you need to buy the cradle that plugs into it rather than just the normal iphone cradle. Then you can control the music via iDrive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-APPLE-iPHONE-3G-BLUETOOTH-SNAP-IN-ADAPTOR-USB-AUDIO_W0QQitemZ180389153364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a00080a54&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='973538' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:50 AM
I think hes on about using the iphones music in the car as well as the phone side of it. For that the car needs to have 6FL USB/Audio option installed and you need to buy the cradle that plugs into it rather than just the normal iphone cradle. Then you can control the music via iDrive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-APPLE-iPHONE-3G-...id=p3286.c0.m14
yes, this is exactly wht i want. I do know that bluetooth works for phone and contact list. But i want also music.

How do i know if the car has 6FL? or 6NF. From my first post link, i thought i needed 6NF and not FL.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Looking at it you need both. 6FL adds the ability to plug it in and 6NF means the car can use these features. The only one who could give you a definate answer is BMW themselves. Phone up your dealer or visit them and they can give you a print out of the options fitted to your car.

Post the answer when you get it though so we know.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Ok, thanks a lot dandle for the useful info. Appreciate it. Will call the dealer in the weekend and report back here.
Thank you again for ur input
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Just found this

"BMW, the first automaker to provide Apple iPod integration and factory Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, announced it will add Smartphone Integration (option 6NF) starting with October 2008 production. The new option will be available in the X5, X6,1er, 3er, and 6er Series.

Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone 3G, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone."

The 5 series isnt listed but worth checking with BMW.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

thx for this extra info.

do u have the link for it. the article? Appreciate it. Youve been a great help. Thank you again
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 530i, M-Sport Option, Remus Exhaust, K&N Filter
Cool

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='973598' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:28 AM
Just found this

"BMW, the first automaker to provide Apple iPod integration and factory Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, announced it will add Smartphone Integration (option 6NF) starting with October 2008 production. The new option will be available in the X5, X6,1er, 3er, and 6er Series.

Owners of a variety of smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone 3G, will benefit from Smartphone Integration. The smartphone option not only charges the phone but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. It also improves telephone reception by reducing radio wave interference. It does not conflict with BMW's iPod/USB (6FL) option but rather is complementary.

Smartphone Integration means that the driver doesn't have to connect his mobile phone with integrated MP3 player to the USB audio interface. It can remain in the special snap-in adapter in the center console. Previously, in order to play music from a smartphone, the driver would have to remove the phone from the standard snap-in adapter - if in use - and plug the phone into the car's USB audio interface (6FL option).

In addition, you can have a separate MP3 player plugged into the USB audio interface and listen to music from that. If both are plugged in, the device attached to the USB connection will take priority but unplugging the USB device will return control to the smartphone."

The 5 series isnt listed but worth checking with BMW.
I haven't even picked up my 2005 530i M-Sport (Next Monday I pick it up) and I am excited
This looks pretty nifty ...
I am wondering what model year E60 range it suits, as stated above, if the 5 series isn't listed actually doesn't mean it doesn't exist or work.
When I got my E90 325i, originally the iPhone wasn't supported, however it worked like a charm ...

Quick Reply: Iphone craddle