E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPhone app "My BMW remote" working USA!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Hallelujah !!! Got the app to work with the generous help from Darko. I learned that the problem with me not being allowed to sign in, using the email address and PIN that BMW Assist had for me, was that it was different than the email address and PIN I originally registered with BMW Assist.

Once I used the email address and PIN I gave the dealership when I bought the car, it worked. Don't know why the new email address and PIN I confirmed with BMW Assist did not work.

I have a 2008 5er and the lock-unlock works as well as the locate my car. I'm happy.

The dealer told me it will only work in Europe; it only works if you have NAV (I do not have NAV); and it will only work on 2010 and later... None of the foregoing is true.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Maybe I'll try the app again. Maybe it will work this time
Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I can verify that this does work with the latest version of the application downloaded from the UK iTunes store.

1. On the computer you use to sync your iPhone, visit the My BMW Remote web page.

2. Click "View in iTunes". iTunes will inform you that it needs to change to the UK store to view the application. Click Change Store.

3. Click "Free App" under the app's icon, as if you're going to download it. A window will appear prompting you to log in, or create a new iTunes account.

4. If you do not already have a UK iTunes account, create one. The email address used must be one not currently used with any other iTunes account/Apple ID. You must use a UK-based mailing address (e.g., the address of the Regent Street Apple Store). You will be able to select the no credit card option during account creation.

5. The app will download into iTunes. This has the effect of logging you in with your new UK account, and authorizing the computer for that account.

6. When done, log out of that account and log back in to your normal iTunes account (it will let you know the store is changing back to US).

7. You can now sync your iPhone and the My BMW Remote app will be synced to the device.

When you first run the app, it will ask for a BMW ConnectedDrive username and password. For this, you can use the email address and PIN set up with BMW Assist. You may not know what this is. In my case, I called BMW Assist (via the SOS button) and set up my account. There was no email address on my account and the PIN was set to 0000 (a common dealer practice). After I set up my account, I couldn't log in with my new PIN, but 0000 still worked -- then the application allowed me to set at least the PIN the application used to log in. I do not know if the information hadn't had time to propagate, or if this is because the application isn't supported in the US.

Nevertheless, once I logged in and set a new PIN, the new PIN worked, and all app functions worked: the primary ones being locking and unlocking the vehicle, and locating the vehicle on a map. I'm not sure why BMW doesn't choose to have this functionality available in the US, but it's definitely pretty slick!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Excellent summary. Thanks for the time it took to post that. I see you have a 2011 and I have a 2008. I think features do not work with my car because it is a 2008.

The two features that now work are the "lock-unlock" and the "find my car". You are probably on to something with your "propogation" comment. I suspect that there is some disconnect in the BMW Assist program.

The PIN I gave at the time of purchase - I had forgotten. So I called up BMW ASSIST and provided a new registration for both my car and my wife's (2008 X3). After many long hours of trying to access My BMW Remote and being told I had the wrong PIN - I got the original PIN from my dealer and that worked.

So although BMW ASSIST tells me I have a certain PIN currently, it is different than the PIN that works with the BMW Remote program. The current PIN, given to me recently by BMW ASSIST, does not work the BMW Remote program. Strange.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

still doesnt work for me, wtf. It keeps saying error when trying to unlock the car.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
New Members

Has anyone figured out what to do when you get the error: "No Vehicles are saved to your account"

I am definitely entering the correct credentials, changing them pops up a login error.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by harrisfb
Has anyone figured out what to do when you get the error: "No Vehicles are saved to your account"

I am definitely entering the correct credentials, changing them pops up a login error.

Thanks!
Be sure to confirm with BMW Assist that it has your vin and car data entered correctly in your account. When I first logged on with the BMW Remote the program snatched the car data for both of my BMWs and entered it automatically on the program's screen. I didn't do any entering. It must have gotten that info from BMW Assist. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Engine: N54

I downloaded this app months ago nd never got past the login screen. I tried it just now and have logged and set a PIN. I have the map location correct. When I try to lock the car I get a "Error during data transfer".
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

You guys see the location of the car? I just see "my" location, not where the car is.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
You guys see the location of the car? I just see "my" location, not where the car is.

I just saw my car was at my home address - which is where I am. I'll try again when I get far enough away from the car.

Quick Reply: iPhone app "My BMW remote" working USA!