E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

internal headlight wiring crumbling

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by padre
I did not. I am not tempted since car is under extended warranty for another while, I will wait till more of crap repairs accumulate. I am just lightheaded every time I have to deal with service advisor who has opinions but no knowledge on cars he is expected to advise on.
I did covered exposed wires with insulating tape.
service advisors mainly look to upsell you on things, just to pad their pockets.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Well, I got the response from my local dealer that I was expecting. They're actually very nice, but they basically told me that since the car is well out of warranty and BMW hasn't issued a recall, there was nothing they could do at the dealership level. They recommended I contact BMW NA and NHTSA.

I urge all of you that have CPO and other cars that are under warranty to check your headlight and taillight wiring. If you see anything resembling the pictures I posted, get the car in and have the problem fixed before it gets to the point where you have to buy new headlights.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

This is very common. I had some problem in my 04. I taped real good to not overspray inside and used 3m liquid electrical tape spray and put many coats (probably about 6) on the wires. I did this when I took out my headlamps to replace bulbs and angels. The wires were eroded worse than yours and when i tried to use tape they would crack even more. I know electrical tape doesn't really hold so i opted for spray. This is not happening on any other bi-xenon BMW i've owned (3) just the E60. This was before I changed anything and so forth. I would go with the spray instead.\

Dealer isn't going to help, and service advisors do not know much. If you own a BMW, know your car inside and out. a car is a car but "german engineering" is completely ridiculous because they have different buses and systems linked into one so knowing the software portion is a must. The physical issues are easy fixes, it's the logical ones that will kill an owner.

Last edited by AchtungE60; 10-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Man, I wish that had been an option for me. The photos I posted are just the tip of the iceberg. The three wires leading to the DRL bulb are completely bare up to and beyond the point where they disappear behind the bezel. There is just no way to get to them to insulate them, even with an aerosol product.

Thanks BMW and Hella, thanks to you both I am looking at $1300 worth of headlight housings sitting on my work bench. Silly me, I didn't think headlights were a wear item.

Achtung offers sound advice: if you own a BMW, get to know it inside and out. This is my 6th or 7th one at this point, and each one is an adventure. If you stick it out, eventually you get to a point were all of the 'problems' are resolved, the car is properly modded, and you get to just enjoy the car. I drove my E30 today to remind me of that.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem BMW sarasota 3 headlights later bad wiring harness

2008 bmw 525 pre certified with warranty......Nothing is ever covered at BMW Sarasota. 3 headlights later not the first, not the second but the third time around they decide to see what the problem is. Bad wiring harness and of course its not covered!! How does it take 3 times in a very short time span to figure this out. Bought the car at Germain BMW paid CASH less than 7 months ago there is still only 80k on the car.

To see whats covered Sarasota BMW told us we need to read the fine print online about the pre certified -full maint package......in short it covers nothing......last BMW we will ever buy. This is our 7th and last........Garbage car in Sarasota FL

I will write to BMW tomorrow But I am sure that they could care less
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markericab
2008 bmw 525 pre certified with warranty......Nothing is ever covered at BMW Sarasota. 3 headlights later not the first, not the second but the third time around they decide to see what the problem is. Bad wiring harness and of course its not covered!! How does it take 3 times in a very short time span to figure this out. Bought the car at Germain BMW paid CASH less than 7 months ago there is still only 80k on the car.

To see whats covered Sarasota BMW told us we need to read the fine print online about the pre certified -full maint package......in short it covers nothing......last BMW we will ever buy. This is our 7th and last........Garbage car in Sarasota FL

I will write to BMW tomorrow But I am sure that they could care less
BS on BMW of Sarasota. I can guarantee you if you had the car in three times for the same bulb failure they had the headlight out of the car and saw the same things I saw on my car, but didn't tell you anything about it.

Again, get to know your car to where you know more about it than anyone else.

Don't bother writing BMW NA. They aren't going to care. Did you contact Germain BMW? Sarasota isn't going to want to do warranty repair on a car you didn't buy there.

Last edited by KyleB; 11-06-2012 at 03:37 PM.