E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Radio Pop

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, every summer I have the same problem. The trunk gets hot and my radio hisses and pops. The dealer has done a few things to try and mitigate the issue but, basically, the trunk gets hot causing the amp to get hot and cause the pop. Because I don't want to pay crazy dollars to update the radio, I was bored and thought about how I could run the AC to the trunk of the car. Yes, I'm sure it's completely crazy, but why not. Has anyone else A) had this problem and fixed it easily or tried this and fixed the popping? "The devil will find work for idle hands to do!"

John
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Members

I have the exact same problem. When it's 80 or 85 it takes anywhere from 30mins to 45mins of straight driving for radio speakers to start popping on all speakers inside car. Does it on AM/FM/CD/AUX bluetooth only way to silence popping noise is to put radio in mute.

I did come across another thread where a guy took in his car to get a CIP/Progman update and it crashed or didn't update properly so he started getting radio pops too... he wasn't sure if it was related. I've brought my car in to a few dealers to attempt NAV retrofit, they couldn't do it and a long the way they said updating CIP/Program it crashed. So it would be interesting if it some sort of corrupted software not turning on or spinning the fan faster causing it to overheat.

I should of had this repaired when it was under warranty, of course they say bring it in to any dealer when it does it, I pull it up to a dealer they take there old sweet time radio/amp cools down so they can't duplicate problem. Pathetic!

On my 5th try, it was really hot in southern CA so I took it in they were able to duplicate the problem, they noticed my right AC drain plug was not dripping on a hot day with the AC on, so they thought water condensation was building up and shorting out the radio. They said to clear up the drain plug is easy but changing MASK radio would be too expensive over $1K. He said there was no AMP for non logic 7 cars.

Sublime another member on this forum showed me MASK radios with standard audio does have a tiny amp rear left of trunk like what you pointed out too. I thought it was my head unit not knowing there was an AMP so Sublime put his newer MASK radio that supports MP3 CDs into my car. There was one hot day and it didn't pop, I'm going to have to test 95+ degree days to make sure and I will report back. If it still does it maybe we should just replace our AMPs?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

If the popping returns I will gladly refund you for the M-ASK, but for the sake of convenience (and that I am 5,800 miles from home) I hope the radio swap solved the problem
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

do you have the Logic 7 or the regular audio? I found out my Logic 7 was installed upside down so the fan wasn't cooling as designed. the connections need to be at the bottom of the bracket, not the top, as the fans are designed to pull air through and exhaust out the top of the unit (the side without connections.)

if you have the regular sound, the amp is in the head unit, so pull it out and check the fan on the back. If you need A/C to it the vents are right there, so that should be cake.

good luck
Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Members

Ninerfan: here's another related thread. https://5series.net/forums/topic/101445-audio-crackling-and-popping-any-fix/

Sublime: Thanks for the offer but I got a great deal on your headlights! The radio was an added bonus... don't you need your original radio in the future to do a software update or you can code any MASK radio to do a software update? If you ever need your radio to do an update let me know I'm only an email or phone call away.

545felix: I have regular audio... I don't know what Ninerfan has...