E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

interior removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525

hi, hopefully someone can help me out.
i'm taking the center console out of my 08 535i and needed some help. i removed the 2 nuts in the rear under the vents. then i removed every thing around the shifter. still couldn't get it out so i figured there were more screws somewhere under the ash tray. thats where i'm stuck. i got the bottom of the ash tray out but the top is pretty well stuck. do i have to remove the radio to get that part out of am i missing something? is there anything else to taking out the center console?

TIA for your help.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You have to pull the small narrow carpet trims on either side of the forward CC. Just slide them back and they come off. There are two 8 mm bolts, remove the rear one. The front bolt is for the IP carrier. Remove your top wood trim and remove the three bolts down inside your shifter. Next remove one or two bolts just under the ashtray. These go in horizontal threading towards the engine. Then remove the rear trim CC cover. Normally there are two power outlets on this panel. Inside on the bottom there are two 10 mm nuts. You can grab the hand brake and pull it ALL the way up. After up, pull just on the leather handle and it will disconnect from the hand brake bar. Lift the CC from the rear and gently work it up. Check for and disconnect any wires or cables and continue to pull up and rotate CC to remove. I lowered driver seat and seat back down to get more room.

You can do all of this with out removing your main trims but it is not recommended because of scratching etc... I would just remove the main trim starting from the left then remove the AC controls and next the lower trim. This will make the CC much easier.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Members

thank you very much. i'll take another look at it this afternoon. so the brake handle just slides off when you pull on it? so far it looks like i've done everything but the e brake and screws behind the carpet. also, how do i disconnect these damn BMW connectors? usually they have a lock that you push down to get the connector off but these look like they just slide in but i tried pulling them out and its impossible.

thank you
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by supratreo
thank you very much. i'll take another look at it this afternoon. so the brake handle just slides off when you pull on it? so far it looks like i've done everything but the e brake and screws behind the carpet. also, how do i disconnect these damn BMW connectors? usually they have a lock that you push down to get the connector off but these look like they just slide in but i tried pulling them out and its impossible.

thank you
Which connectors? There are several diffeferent type.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Members

the ones similar to the one one the aux. input. it just plugs in without any locks but can't be pulled out. there are a few of them in there that are similar.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

The connectors that are used on the ac controll have a center button to push then swing the lever over and it comes off. There's a coupe of these. There are a few more that just pull off one on the ac panel and the two seat heat if you have this. If you have the aux in the cc armrest that was a bit tricky because you can't see I well. I actually pushed it into the cc bx then I was able to unclip it. I remember the trim panels do need to be removed to get access to the two screws under the ashtray.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Members

actually my AUX is on the rear of my CC and im trying to relocate it. the connector looks like it just pulls off but i could not for the life of me get it off. it was easier to pop the aux input and board out of the housing and actually pull the board its self off the connector. i only ask because there are a few other things back by the rear vents that might need to be disconnected so i can pull the center console off.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

Ok, not sure what all you have back there. Mine has the two power sockets and the vent controls. I actually pushed the aux into my armrest with the board still on it. I pushed from the back side since I had some access there. Once it was all visible you could see a small tab to push in on and then it comes off.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

This PDF is to replace the Fan but it shows how to remove the center console.
Attached Files
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Members

i also have the vents/controls, 2 power outlets and a aux. input. i had the entire aux unit in my hand but could not see any tabs. i'll take another look today.

Gee_115: thank you very much for that.

Quick Reply: interior removal