E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting review of the F10 550i

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier this week TTAC reviewed the new F10 550i/535i. Reviews on this site are a little hit or miss, but this particular review was pretty thoughtful. There are some direct comparisons between the styling and feel of the F10 vs. the E60. Nothing really new here, but thought some of you might find it interesting.

Some choice quotes:

- "The styling of the previous generation (E60) 5-Series certainly had its critics, but I was not among them. It was the best of the Bangle-era designs. When fitted with the right wheels, it possessed a bold stance and aggressive edginess that the new cleaned-up 5 lacks."
- "Looking at the new 550i fitted with the Sport Package, I kept wondering if it really had this package, for it doesn?t modify the lower body styling and its frilly 15-spoke alloys appear less sporty than the standard 18s."
- "The specs suggest that the new 5-Series is about the same size inside as the old one. But, relative to the driver, the instrument panel is farther away, and so provides the impression of a larger car. A fan of compact cars, I prefer the cozier driving position of the E60."
- Re: the new 535i's engine: "In another strike by the bean counters, one of the turbos has been deleted, though that remaining is a twin-scroll design. I haven?t driven the old car recently, but at low rpm the new engine seems to have more lag and more of a boosted feel. Get on then off the throttle in casual driving, and the new engine is a noticeable split-second behind in both directions."
- "Lost from the old 550: the [new] turbocharged eight sounds relatively ordinary."
- "From the driver?s seat the new 5 feels larger and heavier than the old one. Which shouldn?t come as a surprise, because it is larger and heavier, and (as noted above) the driving position is that of a larger car. The new 5 doesn?t as evenly split the difference between the 3 and the 7. It?s more 7, less 3."
- "...BMW clearly attended to critics when designing the new 5-Series. The styling is cleaner, the ergonomics are much improved, and the chassis is more refined. No great leap forward has been attempted this time around, and the car is better in virtually every way as a result. By nearly any objective measure, these are excellent cars. So why didn?t I enjoy looking at them or driving them more? Somehow, when BMW ticked off the boxes of items in need of improvement, enjoyment wasn?t in the list. They?ve rediscovered the plot, but in letter rather than spirit."

Here's the full review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...535i-and-550i/
Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Contributors

ouch.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Unfortunately, the substance of that review is consistent with the reviews of many of this board's own seasoned members. I reallu hope that BMW did not take all the fun to drive factor out of the 5 Series with the F10. If I did, I will look seriously at competitors' cars when my lease is up. Hopefully by that time, BMW will addresss some of the most worrisome criticisms of the F10, such as the lack of steering feel written about in the car mags.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

He ain't lying...
Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Unfortunately, the substance of that review is consistent with the reviews of many of this board's own seasoned members. I reallu hope that BMW did not take all the fun to drive factor out of the 5 Series with the F10. If I did, I will look seriously at competitors' cars when my lease is up. Hopefully by that time, BMW will addresss some of the most worrisome criticisms of the F10, such as the lack of steering feel written about in the car mags.
If that's the case I'll just jump into a used E92 M3 around 2013.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Scott, I think it's time you get out to the dealer and drive one for yourself. Come on, Victor needs a little fun in an F10!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I've driven the F10 seen the F10, the way it is now I am not impressed and don't like it. Maybe the LCI version. We'll see
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Rudy
Scott, I think it's time you get out to the dealer and drive one for yourself. Come on, Victor needs a little fun in an F10!
True. One of these days I have to go see JeffNNJ at Prestige BMW and take one out for a spin. It's just that Saturdays are reAlly my only free day to do that and I feel a little guilty bugging someone in car salees on a Saturday unless I am in a position to buy given that Saturday is the busiest and most important day for those in car sales.