E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Interesting observation on seat belt chime!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcyclists must wear helmets in Singapore. Its mandatory.

As far as seat belts and airbags are concerned, I think I read somewhere that it is more dangerous not to wear seat belts in a car equipped with airbags.

It is up to the individual, but I have heard of people not wearing seat belts flying thru the windscreen of their vehicle in an accident. You may be travelling at 10 mph crossing a traffic junction; but if a truck going at 40 mph crashes into you, you're deadmeat for sure. Why, you may even have your face imprinted onto his front grille.

Anyway, its a safety feature. Its all up to the individual. No point writing all the pros and cons about the seat belt chime; some like it, others don't. Just like smoking. Some 60 yr old man will tell you he's been smoking all his life and he's healthy as an ox, but the doctors and young cancer patients will advise you against it.

We are all drivers. There will come a day when we will hear of a friend or an acquaintance who had this or that happen because of ........ Lets just hope that its not your story thats being told.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Regardless of one's views on the creeping maternalism of our Government, it is indisputable that seat belts save lives. And it is now a ticketable driving offense in Ohio to not wear them. That provides an economic incentive to do so. In addition to the %#$n annoying chimes! <_<
Old 05-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, Black Sapphire, Steptronic, Black Int.

Never a truer statement has been made - seatbelts save lives, a proven fact. I have seen my share of disasters releated to lack of their use, and they have made a believer out of me.
Just my 2 cents.
MM
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Marco, not sure in which situation I am more uncomfortable - driving without seatbelts, or making love to my wife without ...

Oh, never mind.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by nickferr' date='May 23 2005, 07:18 PM
[quote name='Flowerfred' date='May 23 2005, 01:24 PM'][quote name='Aaron' date='May 23 2005, 07:17 PM'] Do you realize that seatbelt is law and motorcycle helmets are not...don't really understand that one.

[snapback]132263[/snapback]
Motorcycle helmets are law in most European countries.
[snapback]132265[/snapback]
[/quote]

Helmets are mandatory in Maryland.

Nick
[snapback]132439[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not in Pennsylvania. Just a few months ago the helmet law was removed. I guess we like to contribute to the organ donor program here.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 23 2005, 04:49 PM
Why should I buckle up if I'm sitting in the driveway in park with the engine on playing with my audio system? Why should the car insist that I do?
[snapback]132432[/snapback]
No good answer there Merz...why in my 86 caprice can I not have the door open with the key in the ignition with the radio on (washing/drying my car, cleaning windows, wanting to hear more music from the "tank" as I call it). It doesn't all make sense, and I do think that the chime can be annoying. But I'll take the chime...I'm happy just to get an E60!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 23 2005, 04:49 PM
Why should I buckle up if I'm sitting in the driveway in park with the engine on playing with my audio system? Why should the car insist that I do?
[snapback]132432[/snapback]
I don't think the chime comes on until you go over a certain MPH. I always always wear a seatbelt but I do not impose people who sit with me to wear one. I am 25 yrs old and people who usually sit with me are either 25 or older and if they are not smart enough to wear one then i'm not their daddy to get on their case.

But in any case, the annoying part about the chime is that yesterday I had a heavy box i was shipping to FedEx in the front seat (trunk was full of other stuff) and had to buckle up the box so the chime would go away
I just think its idiotic to have a chime and I think BMW engineers are smart enough to think of another idea to force people to wear seatbelts.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Contributors

they should just flash a message in i-drive after 5 chimes:

"FINE. IT'S YOUR LIFE. GOOD LUCK".

Old 05-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

It's not just the seatbelt, i think there's weight sensor on front seat too.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

There is a weight sensor in the front seat and thank God for it, because that is actually what I design and it has kept us in business and will for years to come (Thanks NHTSA!!!).

I like the flashing of the message in Idrive idea, but then that would annoy people too. There is no pleasing everyone, so why even try. This has been a topic of conversation from early on, and many of us are still getting the car, so it can't be too bad.

Saurabh, you could have put the box in the back seat (unless it wouldn't fit or your kids were back there), but as far as coming up with a better idea, it's not up to BMW to come up with a better idea to prevent annoyance, they have to meet NHTSA standards to sell vehicles in the US. One of the things they have to do is warn passengers to put on their safety belt, and let them know the airbag will or will not go off (no one has spoken about the light lately...is it still on when no one's there, is it still annoying to anyone?) They don't have to ring the chime all day long, but they must actively warn the passenger. This is not a BMW thing. I rented a Ford Taurus a while back and it was just as bad. My wife had a bac habit of putting her seatbelt on once in motion. After renting the Taurus, she had been trained to put the damn seatbelt on or get upset with the seat chime. She couldn't stand the chime, so it really did train her to put it on right when she got into the car. To that I would say...Good dog, good girl!!!

Quick Reply: Interesting observation on seat belt chime!!!