E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Interesting observation on seat belt chime!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Originally Posted by swajames' date='May 23 2005, 11:34 AM
[quote name='tomwid' date='May 23 2005, 08:03 AM']I'm not saying I'm not going to wear my seatbelt, BUT I feel like a baby when a car has to tell me what to do/not do etc.

To me, if they're going to impose this, why not also have the chime go of when you go over 70mph?? Or how about, a chime for going over the posted speed limit (this would be easy to implement on NAV cars)?

BETTER YET....> Have the car chime at every freeking STOP LIGHT TO MAKE SURE WE DO A COMPLETE STOP!!? WHERE WILL IT END!!!
[snapback]132213[/snapback]
That seems to me to be a bit of a redundant argument. The car's safety systems are built around the assumption that occupants wear seatbelts and will only function correctly if occupants are restrained in the event of a collision. And whilst driving at 70 or higher is not, in itself, at all unsafe, driving unrestrained in your car at any speed can be. I do understand the "nanny state" arguments, but the car just won't be as safe as it should be if people don't belt up.
[snapback]132249[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not absolutely true. Airbags were mandated because of the people NOT wearing their seatbelts. If seatbelt usage was in the 90% range back when, Airbags may have never been implemented in the vehicle in the US because NHTSA may not have deemed them necessary. A great percentage of fatalities are to those that don't buckle up properly. In essence, those that didn't wear their seatbelt raised the price of cars because much more technology has gone into cars with the introduction of the airbag (curtains, occupant detection systems, satellite sensors). They charge about 5k for all of these components alone depending on the car, so "our" lack of caution has basically increased prices.

Me personally, I don't care whether you wear a seatbelt or not...to each his/her own. I wear one at all times, I make my children buckle up, and I nag my friends until they give in (when driving with me). When I was young, I used ride around in the back of pick up trucks and everything, but today's traffic and times are different, and with education, I've come to realize that I was blessed that nothing fatal happened to me while I did those things.

Lastly, for those of you praising seatbelt wear, how many of you feel the same about motorcycle helmets? Do you realize that seatbelt is law and motorcycle helmets are not...don't really understand that one.

What I do care about are those things that affect other people. Cell phone usage and drinking and driving, don't really like the effect either of those have on our roads, but as to the seatbelt, it's your life...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 23 2005, 07:17 PM
Do you realize that seatbelt is law and motorcycle helmets are not...don't really understand that one.

[snapback]132263[/snapback]
Motorcycle helmets are law in most European countries.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 23 2005, 11:17 AM
[quote name='swajames' date='May 23 2005, 11:34 AM'][quote name='tomwid' date='May 23 2005, 08:03 AM']I'm not saying I'm not going to wear my seatbelt, BUT I feel like a baby when a car has to tell me what to do/not do etc.

To me, if they're going to impose this, why not also have the chime go of when you go over 70mph?? Or how about, a chime for going over the posted speed limit (this would be easy to implement on NAV cars)?

BETTER YET....> Have the car chime at every freeking STOP LIGHT TO MAKE SURE WE DO A COMPLETE STOP!!? WHERE WILL IT END!!!
[snapback]132213[/snapback]
That seems to me to be a bit of a redundant argument. The car's safety systems are built around the assumption that occupants wear seatbelts and will only function correctly if occupants are restrained in the event of a collision. And whilst driving at 70 or higher is not, in itself, at all unsafe, driving unrestrained in your car at any speed can be. I do understand the "nanny state" arguments, but the car just won't be as safe as it should be if people don't belt up.
[snapback]132249[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not absolutely true. Airbags were mandated because of the people NOT wearing their seatbelts. If seatbelt usage was in the 90% range back when, Airbags may have never been implemented in the vehicle in the US because NHTSA may not have deemed them necessary. A great percentage of fatalities are to those that don't buckle up properly. In essence, those that didn't wear their seatbelt raised the price of cars because much more technology has gone into cars with the introduction of the airbag (curtains, occupant detection systems, satellite sensors). They charge about 5k for all of these components alone depending on the car, so "our" lack of caution has basically increased prices.

Me personally, I don't care whether you wear a seatbelt or not...to each his/her own. I wear one at all times, I make my children buckle up, and I nag my friends until they give in (when driving with me). When I was young, I used ride around in the back of pick up trucks and everything, but today's traffic and times are different, and with education, I've come to realize that I was blessed that nothing fatal happened to me while I did those things.

Lastly, for those of you praising seatbelt wear, how many of you feel the same about motorcycle helmets? Do you realize that seatbelt is law and motorcycle helmets are not...don't really understand that one.

What I do care about are those things that affect other people. Cell phone usage and drinking and driving, don't really like the effect either of those have on our roads, but as to the seatbelt, it's your life...
[/quote]

I think you may have missed my point. Irrespective of the underlying reasons for the development and introduction of airbags, right now they *are* part of an integrated safety system and would not be as effective if occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.
Air bag system is "Supplemtal Restraint Systems"
It is supplemtal to the seat belt.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Interesting points of view here. Maybe instead of a chime BMW could have used the I-Drive screen and Dashboard screen (much like the low gas warning) which you would have to deactivate by pressing the I-drive or the check button on the steering column.

Wearing a seatbelt may seem less useful if you are driving in the back alleys or country roads to get to the local convenience store for picking up milk and eggs. But..... remember guys it's not your driving skills that you should be confident of but rather the unattentive driver who is pulling out form nowhere that you should be afraid of. You have to think about an unexpected(or should i say accidental?) impact. You would be better off with the seatbelt than going superman through your windshield.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Originally Posted by swajames' date='May 23 2005, 12:38 PM
I think you may have missed my point.? Irrespective of the underlying reasons for the development and introduction of airbags, right now they *are* part of an integrated safety system and would not be as effective if occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
[snapback]132269[/snapback]
swajames, you are right, I did miss it. My message was for everyone in general, but you are correct, these systems are designed to work in conjunction with the seatbelts. Which is a very good point you bring up. These systems are not a replacement for wearing our seatbelts.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Why should I buckle up if I'm sitting in the driveway in park with the engine on playing with my audio system? Why should the car insist that I do?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on black. 6spd MT, Nav, sports package.

What if you're sitting in your driveway, and a car runs into you at full speed!? BUCKLE UP!!!

I counted the number of times my car chimes before it goes off... It does it 30 times!!! It gets REALLY annoying. However it does work. Just this little feature alone, makes BMW a safer car, with them having less casualties.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='May 23 2005, 01:24 PM
[quote name='Aaron' date='May 23 2005, 07:17 PM'] Do you realize that seatbelt is law and motorcycle helmets are not...don't really understand that one.

Motorcycle helmets are law in most European countries.
[snapback]132265[/snapback]
[/quote]

Helmets are mandatory in Maryland.

Nick
Old 05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

They are not required in Florida.

Quick Reply: Interesting observation on seat belt chime!!!