E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is installing the Ipod/usb interface a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 525i

My 06 e60 has the 6 sdisc changer and i do not use it at all. i got some document off this board and printed it out called "AFTERSALES BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING BMW DEALER BULLETIN"

It explains how you can not use the ipod/usb interface if you have the changer. says that the installation kit consists of 2 wiring harness and and interface module that connects to the MOST Bus.

I was wondering if i went to the dealer could i purchase this kit on my own and install it on my own or does it require the dealer to do this? Also does anyone know how much the ipod/usb interface kit is from the dealer?

thanks a ton guys.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

mine required a software update --> dealer.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I'm in the same boat you are. My dealer quoted me $295 for the iPod interface, $4.95 for the cable, and ... $330 for labor (to remove the 6-disc changer, install the iPod interface, install a blank cover to conceal where the CD changer was mounted, and finally for software reprogramming). Ouch. I think I'll continue burning regular CDs.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='533451' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm in the same boat you are. My dealer quoted me $295 for the iPod interface, $4.95 for the cable, and ... $330 for labor (to remove the 6-disc changer, install the iPod interface, install a blank cover to conceal where the CD changer was mounted, and finally for software reprogramming). Ouch. I think I'll continue burning regular CDs.
FYI, I got my iPOD interface for $235 shipped from BMW of Newport, RI (Garry Romani, 401-847-9600 ext. 2448). I had it installed and programmed at BMW of SF for $170.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I believe at least one of our number here has successfully done a DIY install of this - try doing a search on iPod installation. You may however end up needing a Progman update (I did).
Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Members

I searched for IPOD INSTALLATION and found many pages but none that had a DIY style step by step.

From what i gather since my car has CD changer and has Nav with Profressioal radio that plays MP3s in the CD drive that i shouldnt need a progman update.

It pretty much looks like that once i purchase the ipod interface kit i simply remove my cd changer and it takes abtou 15 min to install the kit most of which is just finding cables behind where the cd changer was and plugging them into the interface kit?

any of that sound right?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Contributors

I too searched and found many conflicting reports. I'll ask my SA when I'm at the dealer next month. For now Sat radio and my MP3 CD's are keeping me in enough tunes.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by nextelbuddy' post='533621' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:19 PM
I searched for IPOD INSTALLATION and found many pages but none that had a DIY style step by step.

From what i gather since my car has CD changer and has Nav with Profressioal radio that plays MP3s in the CD drive that i shouldnt need a progman update.

It pretty much looks like that once i purchase the ipod interface kit i simply remove my cd changer and it takes abtou 15 min to install the kit most of which is just finding cables behind where the cd changer was and plugging them into the interface kit?

any of that sound right?
I did a DIY of the iPod interface on a 650i. I assume the 550i is the same. You have the steps correct. It took me 1/2 hour tops including drilling a larger hole in the CD changer cover to route the iPod cable through better.
Note: If you have older iDrive SW, it will need to be updated beforehand. If it plays MP3, it will be OK but some features and fixes are in 25 and up. If you have the Nav POI search, you have 25 or newer. If you have a CD run-on issue (playing songs after leaving the car) or any other specific bug, most dealers will do the SW update no charge.

Also note that any trip to the dealer after installing the iPod adapter for software issues may result in a charge for iPod programming. It seems the diagnostic computer freaks out if you have the iPod adapter and the car's programmed for a CD changer even though it functionally works fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='533731' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:31 PM
I did a DIY of the iPod interface on a 650i. I assume the 550i is the same. You have the steps correct. It took me 1/2 hour tops including drilling a larger hole in the CD changer cover to route the iPod cable through better.
Note: If you have older iDrive SW, it will need to be updated beforehand. If it plays MP3, it will be OK but some features and fixes are in 25 and up. If you have the Nav POI search, you have 25 or newer. If you have a CD run-on issue (playing songs after leaving the car) or any other specific bug, most dealers will do the SW update no charge.

Also note that any trip to the dealer after installing the iPod adapter for software issues may result in a charge for iPod programming. It seems the diagnostic computer freaks out if you have the iPod adapter and the car's programmed for a CD changer even though it functionally works fine.

great to hear. Yes my navigation system has the new "perspective" view labeled Perspective in the menu system where it rotates as i turn on streets etc

so i assume i have 25 or newer meaning i should be able to just buy the ipod interface kit remove my changer plug it up route the cabling and be good to go.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005(55) E60 M Sport. Silver Grey, 19" wheels, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. Black Dakota Leather, High Gloss Dark Maple Wood.

Hi, I did a post on the Parts, Accessories and Mods forum. Title was "Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500" on 26 December 2007. This unit is far superior to the BMW bit of kit as it giives full iPod features, USB input, Aux input and allows the use of the 6 disc changer. If I could work out how to add a link.........

Quick Reply: Is installing the Ipod/usb interface a DIY?