E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kit I bought came with a new monitor (8.8"), a CD/DVD drive (CCC), and iDrive controller (iDrive high with force feedback), an LVDS cable (basically connects the CCC and the monitor), a CCC fan cable (needs to plug into existing empty holes in the main CCC connector (PDF available by searching) an aftermarket (yet usable) GPS antenna and a cool new iDrive knob.

The labor portion is super easy, you basically just replace everything old with the new, the hardest part is the iDrive controller because BMW decided to mount it form the bottom side of the console, so you have to unbolt the console and lift it up a bit to get to the torx screws. (easiest if you take the ashtray mount out by removing the 4 silver torx screws once you have the center console trim removed)

These things usually come from European cars, mine for example had address from Bavaria, Germany stored in the address book. So naturally this navigation speaks German which for me is not a problem because I live there half the year, but for most will have to be coded. (I will have to change this to sell the car)

For some cars the navigation will not work just by installing it and will need to be coded which I know nothing about yet.

The text can be changed to English UK, but the voice controls are all in German with no option to change in the iDrive without coding at BMW. Which funny enough work without the extra add-on and mic and iDrive button kit everyone says you need. But once it is coded, who knows?

It is sort of a gamble, but for me $1,230 shipped was worth it because I like to tinker.

I had to buy a navigation CCC DVD, I found one local on eBay for $80 (2008 version) and BMW sells the 2009.1 version for $199 plus tax. The navigation portion works perfectly, the voice prompts from the navigation are in English and are accurate.

But my stereo system lost all bass response, I think it may either be fixable through coding, OR I bought a unit that had been replaced on warranty, neither will surprise me. I am sure that because this new computer has option controls in it like PDC and heated seat distribution (I have none of these), that this CCC came from a car with more features than mine. So this must have been connected to a Logic7 system, so when my dealer tells the computer that it has only the basic system, all should be fine. Make sense to me.

I only hope I can fix the stereo bass issue without deleting the German voice commands because I really like it - but undoubtedly it will go away.

Here are some pictures, I didn't take any during install because I get in the 'zone' when I take things apart and hate to stop for anything (including eating and bathroom breaks, haha)
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Contributors

PICS!
Attached Thumbnails Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00200_20090202_1036.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00201_20090202_2346.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00202_20090202_2347.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00203_20090202_2347.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00204_20090202_2347.jpg  

Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00207_20090202_2348.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00208_20090202_2349.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00209_20090202_2349.jpg   Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today-img00211_20090202_2349.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Can you show before and after pics plus install.
Nice job by the way.
No way in hell would I even think about attempting that.
And nice one on posting 50 of the same topics, classic
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

I also found that extended voice works without new mic, etc. I have been told that it works through the bluetooth voice, but once the ccc becomes coded this is deactivated
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Members

Great job!!

I am also looking in buying a Prof navigation system. This was all plug&play ??? no codding needed ?

The only reason I but off this project was due to a thread around here, in which one member could not get it working due to the codding process...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='783850' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:06 AM
The kit I bought came with a new monitor (8.8"), a CD/DVD drive (CCC), and iDrive controller (iDrive high with force feedback), an LVDS cable (basically connects the CCC and the monitor), a CCC fan cable (needs to plug into existing empty holes in the main CCC connector (PDF available by searching) an aftermarket (yet usable) GPS antenna and a cool new iDrive knob.
if you're going to the dealer to code it, and your car is not on the same version of progman they have, they will need to update the base software in your car first. I strongly suggest you take your old monitor and m-ask with you when you go, you may have to pop those back in for the first part of the coding. then, once the car is on the current version, then pop in the new screen and m-ask and do the nav pro retrofit steps.

Autologic is nice enough to skip that first step, but the blasted dealer progman is quite picky about the versions. good luck.

if you want the voice recognition to work after the coding, have the dealer tech order part #65 83 6 976 389 through the asap portal and upload the file during the coding process.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

amazing! i want navi in my car as well but im not sure if i have the correct cables and what not to do it correctly. like the gps anttenna for the shark fin on the roof and computer settings in my car, but if all you need it wat you described that i think its well worth it and i am going to find one myself
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributors

nice now you wont get lost lol, nice mod tho
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Members

Thanks very much for detailed information.

What year is your car?
did your car come w/ GPS antenna pre-installed?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='784006' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:43 AM
if you're going to the dealer to code it, and your car is not on the same version of progman they have, they will need to update the base software in your car first. I strongly suggest you take your old monitor and m-ask with you when you go, you may have to pop those back in for the first part of the coding. then, once the car is on the current version, then pop in the new screen and m-ask and do the nav pro retrofit steps.

Autologic is nice enough to skip that first step, but the blasted dealer progman is quite picky about the versions. good luck.

if you want the voice recognition to work after the coding, have the dealer tech order part #65 83 6 976 389 through the asap portal and upload the file during the coding process.

Great advice, I was planning on bringing the M-ASK but hadn't even thought of bringing the monitor. I am torn if and when I will go to the dealer regarding this because aside from the loss of bass response, all is great. I will just go explore around the wires in the amp and see what is different. Worst case my car is pre-coded for a PDC and Logic7 retrofit!

I wish I knew someone local with AutoLogic. Anyone??

Quick Reply: Installed my Nav Pro retrofit today