E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Inside the car wash and popped my trunk!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528i
Default Inside the car wash and popped my trunk!! lol

So I just got my car about a month ago and I have been reading a lot to educate myself as much as possible to all the little tricks/quirks that this car has..

I remember reading about someone that got water in their trunk and it fried a ton of crap in there..

Soo.. yesterday I ran to the car wash and I have a membership with them and they give all cars that enter through (automated wash) a wet wipe for the interior while you are running through the wash.. the little button on the front console that pops the trunk got 'pushed' by myself and I didn't even know until I started pulling out..

Needless to say.. I freaked out!!

parked and ripped the back end apart and dried all the wiring by the battery and under the spare.. there was 3 inch deep puddle under the spare, under the electronics..

any way.. I think I got it all dried up and let it sit for a while with it all pulled out in the sun.. (I live in phoenix.. so it dries nicely)

Just wanted to share and ask if there is anything else I should test or keep and eye on to make sure its all good? Im guessing I would get some errors if it was screwed up..

Later
Steve
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowledge is everything! Your sharp reading and good memory saved the day.

The initial danger is direct shorting of the MPM, and it sounds like you are past that. Secondary danger is corrosion of the contacts on the MPM and/or the harness. Contact corrosion can invite the gremlins into your life. Also, if you haven't already, check both side wells where other electronics may have been affected.

I would pull it all apart again and if needed use a hair dryer to get all of the electrical connections bone dry. You may also want to clean each connection with contact cleaner (available at Fry's Electronics on Baseline Road in Tempe).

A resource is attached for relocating electronics in trunk so next time it won't be so scary.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
New Members

Nice! I was just reading that today actually about relocating the items. Im going to tackle that this weekend then.

As I was pulling it all apart at the car wash yesterday I was yelling to myself.. "Why the F*&$ would they put this many electronics int eh damn trunk??!?!" I just kept repeating it in my head over and over again!!! HAHA

thx for the info!

Steve
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it is pretty stupid to put electronics into the bottom of what is basically a big metal tub, where any fluid entering the trunk is guaranteed to flow to the bottom.

Do research on the forum regarding both sunroof and front windshield drainage systems also, as water can end up inside the car or in the e-box which holds electronics (under the passenger side cabin filter). One great post outlines how to test the drainage and how to run a wire through the drain lines to clear out debris.

As you dig deeper into the car you will learn two things:

1. BMW engineers not only don't spend any time engineering for ease of maintenance, they seem to take delight in cramming things into the most hard to get to places, and derive great joy in your DIY misery.

2. BMW engineers spend no time doing anything else but burnishing their reputation for building cutting-edge technology and building a car that handles well. That includes no thought to reliability. Their ranking in both new car and used car reliability for any model is rarely better than middle of the pack, and a good number of model/year combinations are at the the bottom of the pack.

But as you have already learned, whoa, when the S-curves appear in your drive it is nearly impossible to keep the sh*t eaten grin off your face.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
New Members

Haha. Yeah. So far I love how this thing drives for being a big four door!!

I'm installing my cool overs this weekend and hopefully get some big ol wheels in the next week or two..

I bought this thing a month ago and I am already a little bored of the power.. Maybe ill be getting an m5 sooner than I think or at least a 535 with some turbo action.. My last car had about 340hp at the wheels turbo but it only ran when it wanted to about 5 days a month.. Haha. So it is nice to have a nice car again to daily

So far I'm loving this forum and havnt seen any bashing or flaming.. Refreshing change from the 240sx scene every seems a bit older and mature lol
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Fast action,good memory and good luck !!! LOL There are a pretty good bunch of guy's on here and ages from younger to older . Welcome,enjoy and congrats on your purchase .
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Steveh
So I just got my car about a month ago and I have been reading a lot to educate myself as much as possible to all the little tricks/quirks that this car has..

I remember reading about someone that got water in their trunk and it fried a ton of crap in there..

Soo.. yesterday I ran to the car wash and I have a membership with them and they give all cars that enter through (automated wash) a wet wipe for the interior while you are running through the wash.. the little button on the front console that pops the trunk got 'pushed' by myself and I didn't even know until I started pulling out..

Needless to say.. I freaked out!!

parked and ripped the back end apart and dried all the wiring by the battery and under the spare.. there was 3 inch deep puddle under the spare, under the electronics..

any way.. I think I got it all dried up and let it sit for a while with it all pulled out in the sun.. (I live in phoenix.. so it dries nicely)

Just wanted to share and ask if there is anything else I should test or keep and eye on to make sure its all good? Im guessing I would get some errors if it was screwed up..

Later
Steve
,, When I first read your title ,, I was like wat the heck !!,,, Why would u,, LOL, about water gushing in your trunk its about as serious as a heart attack !! This is a good example of the value of this forum and its members... Nice save of a serious disaster. By the way welcome to the club...... I cleaned out my sun roof drains a while ago check out this thread. I posted pictures of how I did it , really easy job
Sunroof drain cleaning? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by As you dig deeper into the car you will learn two things:

1. BMW engineers not only don't spend any time engineering for ease of maintenance, they seem to take delight in cramming things into the most hard to get to places, and derive great joy in your DIY misery.

2. BMW engineers spend [U
no time[/U] doing anything else but burnishing their reputation for building cutting-edge technology and building a car that handles well. That includes no thought to reliability. Their ranking in both new car and used car reliability for any model is rarely better than middle of the pack, and a good number of model/year combinations are at the the bottom of the pack.

But as you have already learned, whoa, when the S-curves appear in your drive it is nearly impossible to keep the sh*t eaten grin off your face.
That's because they are moonlighting developing things like this...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by H F
,, When I first read your title ,, I was like wat the heck !!,,, Why would u,, LOL, about water gushing in your trunk its about as serious as a heart attack !! This is a good example of the value of this forum and its members... Nice save of a serious disaster. By the way welcome to the club...... I cleaned out my sun roof drains a while ago check out this thread. I posted pictures of how I did it , really easy job
Sunroof drain cleaning? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Thanks for this! Just tore it apart and mine is like brand new :-) no worries here
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
That's because they are moonlighting developing things like this...
http://www.youtube.com/embed/L3j6HaAieEU?rel=0
That is the most legit tractor I have ever seen lol
That's a lot of services one could sell to a city

Quick Reply: Inside the car wash and popped my trunk!! lol