E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF

Today when I was driving I started to hear something sounded like it was tapping metal and coming from my rear wheel well. I went to inspect everything and this is what I found looks like the inner sleeve has completely separated from the rubber (metal circle in the middle is what is pictured in the trunk). Crazy thing is when I jack the car up the metal piece shown slowing goes back into position. It completely tore through the insulation thats on top of the shock tower (black rubber/Foam pictured) I feel like Im on borrowed time and dont want something else to mess up because of it. Can anyone confirm thats what this is? I replaced the mounts when I put in ST coils in May any other alternatives seems like this will happen again. Both sides are like this BTW. The other side I just havent heard the tapping because of the insulation. Inner metal circle is what you see in pic pretty sure thats not normal operation. Black insulation is what was stopping it from completely hitting the metal but has deteriorated.
Attached Thumbnails Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-img_3589.jpg   Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-img_3596.jpg   Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-505952_x600.jpg   Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-591916_x600.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

seems like your coils are too stiff, and the mounts are giving way.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by turboawd
seems like your coils are too stiff, and the mounts are giving way.
I think they've given way already... Is the car driveable? Are there any alternatives for stock mounts on the E60 and also if you have any experience with this does part#5 need to be installed with ST/KW suspension to avoid this from happening because I dont believe I have it installed currently goes just before the mount maybe the bump stop having instant contact with that portion of the mount is whats pushing it through.

Can anyone else chime in going to fixed this ASAP but need to know about part#5
Attached Thumbnails Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-184.jpg   Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-img_3597.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

So I've seen this happen before. When it happened to my buddies E60 it was because they didn't install the support bearing that goes on the rear strut first before the top hat. You will want to make sure the shop installed that piece which iirc spreads the load across the whole top mount. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Inner sleeve seperated from shock mount....WTF-image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
So I've seen this happen before. When it happened to my buddies E60 it was because they didn't install the support bearing that goes on the rear strut first before the top hat. You will want to make sure the shop installed that piece which iirc spreads the load across the whole top mount. Here's a pic.
Kinda what I thought, It was actually my mistake when doing the install. Ironic thing is the ST instructions only come with the pic I posted for rear install. But when I called to confirm part the rep told me to look at the V3 intstruction manual and it has the support. I have the parts ordered 2 from Tischer so going to install them tomorrow along with new mounts I just got from ECS hopefully my problem is solved.