E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Injen 535i intake not working as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ObD' post='839859' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:53 PM
Because other cars with turbos have been exploited, the temptation to find hidden power is strong. I personally thought going turbo would be the downfall of BMW. I expected a huge brouhaha over a bunch of blown engines when people could not resist toying with these motors. With all the wacky ideas people try to mod with and with the abuse thrown at this motor via pushing the envelope, it survives. BMW built a heck of an engine.

I think it is too early to claim that this motor is being "abused".

From what I have read and seen on various forums, it doesn't
look like people are pushing the envelope that much at this
point in time.

Once they start upgrading the turbos and pushing 20psi, and
if the motor still holds out, then I will say that the N54 is
BMW's answer to the 2JZ,
which has been described by many as "bullet proof".
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbae1978
When I had the DCIs in last summer, my 535i would go into limp mode about twice a week. Once I switched back, I rarely had that problem unless I was racing/pushing the car, but that was due to my JB3.

e60 is an unbiased forum and is open to anybody and any vendor. there aren't any limitations or restrictions as to any subjects as long as it's appropriate. it would be great to see vendors such as injen on e60.net to provide some more details regarding their products. It's unfortunate that we don't have more vendors on this forum to hear their side of the story.
Old thread but I thought I'd reawaken it briefly to put in my 2 cents.
I spoke to Terry through email earlier today regarding the DCI setup because obviously I've heard conflicting tests and messages regarding which setup is better over the other. My argument isn't with the aFe I think the consensus regarding this setup is that it's bad and does actually suck in increased warm air lowering performance. It's strictly to do with the BMS DCI setup, which claims with a tuned engine (jb3) there are indeed gains over any stock or drop in filter setup. The thing I obviously want to stress is the fact that most people on e60 board are against any type of intake setup other than a drop in but I don't want their opinions to be biased based on the opinions of most e60 board users. If you go to the n54tech forum (a forum used by people strictly running tuned 335i's 535i's) they swear by the DCI setup and many many users run these. It's like night and day reading opinions and comments here and there. I guess facts are facts and peoples personal experiences are what I'm mostly concerned with, not hey I heard from this guy that this is no good and this is better. I personally haven't used a DCI setup yet and was planning to but now reading the comments people are posting am starting to sway away from it. I'd like to think Terry knows what hes talking about since he did create the JB3 but I guess I'll just have to do more research and look at some more actual proof instead of hearsay to figure out whats best.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by ObD
Doing my own online research I have come to the conclusion that the intake is as good as it gets in stock form. Save your money.
this.

i dont think there is much to improve. and those kits with exposed filters are a joke.
the aftermarket companies will say whatever, just so they can make a sale.