E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

initializing folding mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 535xi that I need help with the passenger's side folding mirror. Both mirror housings fold in all the way as they should, but while the driver's side folds out and stops at the normal position, the passenger's side continues for approx. 45 degrees before it stops. I have tried resetting according to SIB 51 31 09 (resetting folding mirror) but it did not help. Apparently that SIB is applicable only when the mirror housing has a slight misalignment that affects the mirror positioning slightly, but in my case the misalignment is so huge it renders the mirror unusable. I have tried folding the mirror manually inward, outward and anywhere in between, but once I operated the folding switch, it goes back to the extreme forward position. Does anybody know of any initialization procedure or steps to solve this problem? Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 530i

Originally Posted by handyben
I have a 2008 535xi that I need help with the passenger's side folding mirror. Both mirror housings fold in all the way as they should, but while the driver's side folds out and stops at the normal position, the passenger's side continues for approx. 45 degrees before it stops. I have tried resetting according to SIB 51 31 09 (resetting folding mirror) but it did not help. Apparently that SIB is applicable only when the mirror housing has a slight misalignment that affects the mirror positioning slightly, but in my case the misalignment is so huge it renders the mirror unusable. I have tried folding the mirror manually inward, outward and anywhere in between, but once I operated the folding switch, it goes back to the extreme forward position. Does anybody know of any initialization procedure or steps to solve this problem? Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
I have exact same problem. How did you fix it?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Members

I had the same problem with both mirrors at about one year interval. I was still under CPO and both mirrors had to be replaced to resolve the issue.