E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Thumbs up

How this function works? I guess I'd like to try it during upcoming winter in Europe but I don't wanna find my car beautifully warm with dead battery in the morning Who of you use it?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Are you talking about the "REST" function or maybe the "parked car ventilation" function? If so, for winter you only want to use the REST function. It only runs the blower for a relatively short time so the battery should be fine. The hard part is remembering to turn it on before getting out of the car!

If you're referring to something else, then please explain...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hondik' post='486303' date='Oct 26 2007, 07:58 AM
How this function works? I guess I'd like to try it during upcoming winter in Europe but I don't wanna find my car beautifully warm with dead battery in the morning Who of you use it?
I have it in my car and i love it! I use i it every morning!
Just set the timer the evening before, 15 min before you leave in the morning. The car will be nicely warm and the engine is also warmed up, so your car will start perfectly
You can also use the remote control from your bedroom
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Perhaps this is an option that is not available in the US, can you elaborate more on this "Independent Mode"? Is this BMW equipment or aftermarket?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, now I think I remember what then independent mode heater is.

It does pre-warm the car via a remote control (and possibly a timer setting). I think Iceman has it on his car (as well as some other members here).

I'm not too familiar with the BMW factory system but in the past, I've had experiences with similar systems made by Webasto. The system taps into the car's fuel system to run a pump that can circulate and heat engine coolant. The system then runs the car's blower to pre-heat the interior space.

The running of the blower can drain the battery but I think the rest of the system is powered by the fuel so the system can work pretty well...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Unless you have an engine pre-heater fitted the independant mode will not do a lot for you.

All it will do is pump air around the car for up to 20 mins at ambient temperature, if that is 20F then your car is not going to get warm.

This function is of more use in the summer when you can set it to give some ventilation before you get back to your car.

The 'REST' function is used when you park your car and turn off the engine. Pressing 'REST' pumps air around the car with the ignition off for 20 mins, as the engine will still be warm, so is the air.

It enables you to keep the interior of the car warmer without having to run the engine whilst stationary.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Please state what car and MY you have sx125,

I know that some E60 diesels had a "Webasto-system" as standard.

"Webasto" is a fuel (gas or diesel) operated heater that can be programmed,
some even by cellphone.

See this link!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

It's a standard feature for 535d's in Europe as the car's option list doesn't contain it.

One of 535d's standard feature is called Advanced Air Conditioning, I guess apart from Dual-Zone Clima you get also this Independent Mode.

If it can be used for cooling it will be marvelous! I wonder why BMW doesn't offer Solar Roof as Audi does. Is it a patented technology? I gotta look it up.

Pre-heating the car as you say is a great feature also, if you by the way save your engine and don't have to wait few miles to warm up + side effect is reduced fuel consumption.

Anyway, I will try tomorrow how it works and let you know!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='486453' date='Oct 26 2007, 06:43 PM
Unless you have an engine pre-heater fitted the independant mode will not do a lot for you.

All it will do is pump air around the car for up to 20 mins at ambient temperature, if that is 20F then your car is not going to get warm.

This function is of more use in the summer when you can set it to give some ventilation before you get back to your car.

The 'REST' function is used when you park your car and turn off the engine. Pressing 'REST' pumps air around the car with the ignition off for 20 mins, as the engine will still be warm, so is the air.

It enables you to keep the interior of the car warmer without having to run the engine whilst stationary.

Yeah you are right ... it works as a ventilation. Pics below, have a look who wants to get the basic impression.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=50798
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=50799
Attached Thumbnails Independent mode-image014.jpg   Independent mode-image015.jpg