E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increased Emissions Fault, advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey

Originally Posted by DesertE60' post='1047440' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:29 PM
For those interested the dealer diagnosis was bad fan for AC and recharge, so the $50 deductible applies and they will cover with CPO. On the other hand, they are saying after troubleshoot and smoke test codes are result of one bad valve. I had noticed and increase in noise under covers(tapping) but was not sure. I still think it's wrong. Anyhow, they say the the hardware is covered by CPO but associated items, hoses....etc for job and labor associated with them is not covered. Bottom line is $461 for the job, and SA says I'm getting a great deal, like they are doing me a favor. Great deal for a car I had 13 days when light showed and called dealer, and 15 when brought to shop. I say BS and called BMWNA to say BS. They are supposed to be getting back with me after speaking with case manager. At first they of course quoted me about CPO, hoses, fluids, blah blah. Then sorta had the attitude that...well it's a used car. True, but it's still their product, and their dealer is not standing behind it 13 days after purchased CPO from BMW dealer. They started to warm up and said I could go ahead and authorize work and they would work to see what they could do to include possible refund. So, not sure how it will pan out. I do know that if it's got a bad valve already, this is probably not going to be the last visit or issue with this dealer. May have to look into the AZ lemon law.
Any ticking noise may lead to the n52 lifter issue if that's the engine you have. There is a huge writeup pertaing to that fault. Isn't there a 30 day return policy for CPO?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Shy is the oil separator not covered under CPO? I thought pretty much everything was.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i 19" Style 95s, Aux input

The oil sep. itself is covered, but does not cover attachments... so it broke down like this....pressure regulator, covered CPO....vent pipe, connecting line, vent hose, return pipe.....all not covered/$208.....labor for said parts....$207, then CPO deductible on top of those....if anyone is interested I can scan the work order.

As far as the lifter issue, I believe my engine is an M54, not sure where to find it for sure, if anyone knows, please let me know.

I've skimmed the CPO language and am not finding a 30 day return policy, does anyone know of this?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I knew CPO warranty wasnt as "good" as the 4 year 50K warranty but I thought it covered more than that... why are the hoses not covered? Labor isnt covered either?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Members

The portion of the labor for the valve was covered, however the way they put it, is that the hoses etc.. are not covered (except AC and steering, what's the diff?) thus the charges. But you would think 13 days out of the gate they would take care of it. It's not like it is a Bimmer out of warranty purchased at Billy Bob's wholesale lot. It was their product bought from their dealer under warranty and advertised as such.

One thing that really bugs me is the difference of BMWNA and that of Europe. In 2002, I took delivery of a new E46(US spec) while being stationed in Germany. I drove it there for about a year before bringing it stateside. They gave me a year of warranty before my regular US warranty would even begin. So basically five years. On top of that they were always very nice even when not asked for. When I took delivery, they gave me a lot of BMW items, mugs, all weather mats (regular mats came with it n/c), pens, etc... and even flowers( for the wife) and champagne. I put several OEM accessories on the car for about 15 to 20 percent over cost( for most) and was never charged a dime for labor. At one point they even replaced all the rotors and pads without even hesitating because I complained about the "sound that they were making", even though they found no fault.

I know we are talking about two different countries, but we are still talking about the same product. You would think a little more of that would spill over to dealers here.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Members

Ok, so I'm still getting the run around. BMWNA case worker finally got in contact with the BMW North Scottsdale service manager. Now being told that the service manager will contact the after sales manager there at BMWNA to talk about what can be done. Then I will get a call from him directly. That was as of yesterday. I guess I will give them a little time to respond, if no refund or call, I will just call BMWAG and discuss it with the Germans. In my experience, they are always a lot more caring so I figure it can't hurt.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Members

OK guys, so after many days of debate with BMWNA and dealer coupled with waiting for a response. Dealer service manager says they agree to refund the entire amount minus the $50 CPO fee. So it seems to that they came through, though it will be 3 to 5 weeks for the refund check. Glad to see there is still some people left that stand behind a product they sell. But, I still won't take it for face value until I get the check in hand. But in all I am satisfied with the resolution. So, if any of you experience these type of issues, please call BMWNA, it cannot hurt and you may just get some help.