E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increased Battery Discharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

"Increased Battery Discharge" was displayed on the dashboard screen. Took the car to a indi BMW shop. They said the Battery ($290) and Battery Negative Cable ($227) both need replacement.

My car is a 2007 still equipped with original battery so it may make sense that its due for a replacement. But the negative battery cable doesn't make much sense to me. The mechanic is saying that the negative cable is causing the battery to drain by sending wrong information to the voltage detection computer.

Before i commit to doing this pricey work, i would like to know if any you guys experienced this.

I've had problems before with the Comfort Access door handle draining my battery which was fixed, now this negative battery cable replacement is puzzling.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Wow, a 07 with an original battery. Change the battery first and get a second opinion on the cable. Are they referring to the recall on the "Battery Cable Insulated Bulkhead Connector" for MY 04-10 5 Series? If they are it is a no-cost change for you at any BMW dealer.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Contributors

The cable being referred to as the "Negative Cable" is the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) and integral to the complex battery and charging system on our cars. You probably remember the "old days" when the negative cable was also called the "ground". You could buy one for a couple of dollars.
That was then - this is now
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Wow, a 07 with an original battery. Change the battery first and get a second opinion on the cable. Are they referring to the recall on the "Battery Cable Insulated Bulkhead Connector" for MY 04-10 5 Series? If they are it is a no-cost change for you at any BMW dealer.
I already took care of the recall. The recall had to do with the Positive cable only. This ground (IBS) cable is different. What if i change the battery only to have it quickly drained again by a faulty IBS cable?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
What if its my factory alarm causing the battery drainage? I notice the "Increased Battery Discharge" message does not appear when i dont arm the car.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had the same thing on my 08 10 months ago. The msg often came after a long weekend where I was not driving the car, or I opened the doors often and did not drive it. I actually replaced the battery with one from AutoZone that had the Ca and CCa numbers matching exactly and all has been just fine. I am not sure why he is telling you to change the cable. Maybe it needs to be changed. Did they say exactly why this has to be done? Maybe he noticed some damaged...? If not, I would probably just go with a battery swap. The dealer wanted 650.00 to change my battery, there was NO WAY!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I had the same thing on my 08 10 months ago. The msg often came after a long weekend where I was not driving the car, or I opened the doors often and did not drive it. I actually replaced the battery with one from AutoZone that had the Ca and CCa numbers matching exactly and all has been just fine. I am not sure why he is telling you to change the cable. Maybe it needs to be changed. Did they say exactly why this has to be done? Maybe he noticed some damaged...? If not, I would probably just go with a battery swap. The dealer wanted 650.00 to change my battery, there was NO WAY!!!
You got a battery from Autozone?!?! I was told by many that its not possible to get a battery from anyone but BMW. And even getting a new BMW battery required programming so that it would work!! How is this possible?!? Tell me how you did this!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Originally Posted by skeematics
You got a battery from Autozone?!?! I was told by many that its not possible to get a battery from anyone but BMW. And even getting a new BMW battery required programming so that it would work!! How is this possible?!? Tell me how you did this!!
Go to Autozone,
Buy replacement battery
Replace old battery
Go see John@motorcepts for programming or not

DONE!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually, if you want the OEM battery, John can get it too if I remember correctly. I think he sells it for around or under $250.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i BMW

I had same issue and also own 07 BMW 530i. I purchased a battery from Sear and it took care of the problem. Never saw that waring again.

Quick Reply: Increased Battery Discharge