E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase wheel spin in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was noticing as the temps have been in the low 50s that I easily spin my wheels compared to when it is warm out. I also notice hugely increase in performance of my car so that made me wonder. Is the increase or ease of wheel spin in the cold due to the increase in power/torque produced from much colder air or is it the tires and ground are not as warm adn therefore not as "sticky"? I am sure it is a combo of both but was not sure.

Does anyone else notice how much better performance is in the cold?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

colder air makes your engine perform better because the air molecules are denser - squeezing more o2 in the same volume of air for the engine to mix with fuel. with my new free flowing exhaust, the effect of temp on my car's sound/performance is even more extreme.

tires have more grip at higher temps. that's why you see f1 cars swerving left and right before the start to warm up tires and why drag racers do burnouts up to the starting line to warm up tires.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Yes I understand why the performance is increased and I also understand tires grip better when warm but my question was which one explains the increase wheel spin?

I must second the sound increasing in cold weather. Man the sound has been amazing with my Remus, AFE and vortech whining. I have had 3 people ask me if I had a v10 in my car-obviously they knew nothing about bimmers but still impressive that it sounded thatmonsterous.

Which freeer flowing exhaust did you go with? Do you notice a difference between it and your remus
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='481578' date='Oct 14 2007, 09:39 PM
Yes I understand why the performance is increased and I also understand tires grip better when warm but my question was which one explains the increase wheel spin?

I must second the sound increasing in cold weather. Man the sound has been amazing with my Remus, AFE and vortech whining. I have had 3 people ask me if I had a v10 in my car-obviously they knew nothing about bimmers but still impressive that it sounded thatmonsterous.

Which freeer flowing exhaust did you go with? Do you notice a difference between it and your remus
If you have summer tires they are designed for 45 and up. They will spin more due to the cold weather and not the engine. If you put on some winter shoes on your ride you will see it will stop.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

its debatable whether zig zagging back and forth really puts any beneficial heat into the tires. At best, it helps scrub any debris off the tire surface before the start. like others said, the spinning is due to the colder weather reducing the grip from your tires. Even power gains in cold weather are negligible, as the ecu balances out cold weather variables to keep the car operating within its designed limits.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned

They are actually all season tires.

And that is absolutely not true that the ECU tones down horsepower to fit within a set limit. That is the exact reason dynos do correction factors for temperature because actual true power produced is along the lines of 1 percent increase for each 10 degrees F drop in temp. There is DEFINETLY a power advantage in the cold and it is not negligible. On a 300 hp car you are looking at 15-17 hp from summer to winter if your in a colder climate. I hate uniformed posters. Like where do you come up with the ECu toning down your car.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='481781' date='Oct 15 2007, 12:13 PM
They are actually all season tires.

And that is absolutely not true that the ECU tones down horsepower to fit within a set limit. That is the exact reason dynos do correction factors for temperature because actual true power produced is along the lines of 1 percent increase for each 10 degrees F drop in temp. There is DEFINETLY a power advantage in the cold and it is not negligible. On a 300 hp car you are looking at 15-17 hp from summer to winter if your in a colder climate. I hate uniformed posters. Like where do you come up with the ECu toning down your car.
Who are you addressing and who are you trying to insult? Why ask the question then bash any input?

If you don't like the answer and be constructive about it then take a hike.

:thumbsdown:
Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='481783' date='Oct 15 2007, 12:26 PM
Who are you addressing and who are you trying to insult? Why ask the question then bash any input?

If you don't like the answer and be constructive about it then take a hike.

:thumbsdown:
Guys - Once again, this member was formerly known as sleepyca31 (He uses periods now, instead of hyphens to break up his sentences). Why are you responding to his posts? Stop wasting your time. He'll be banned again, soon enough.

If you guys would like to see what members thought of him a while back, start here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=425850 - Jed Peter working his magic and letting it be told what he REALLY thinks of member sleepyca31/redwhiteblue.

Here's another:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=433672

or here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=445327

And here is another...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=426169 - This one is one of my favorites. Talk about getting ripped...

Sleepyca31 and redwhiteblue are the same members guys.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

ok thanks for the info C, i was about to respond, but Ill pass now.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='481786' date='Oct 15 2007, 12:31 PM
Guys - Once again, this member was formerly known as sleepyca31 (He uses periods now, instead of hyphens to break up his sentences). Why are you responding to his posts? Stop wasting your time. He'll be banned again, soon enough.

If you guys would like to see what members thought of him a while back, start here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=425850 - Jed Peter working his magic and letting it be told what he REALLY thinks of member sleepyca31/redwhiteblue.

Here's another:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=433672

or here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=445327

And here is another...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=426169 - This one is one of my favorites. Talk about getting ripped...

Sleepyca31 and redwhiteblue are the same members guys.
Ahhhhh..... As I recall he was some Nurse at a hospital and love to insult everyone on this board and brag about how he insulted others. Perhaps he needs to work on his bedside manner or clean a few less bedpans.

Quick Reply: Increase wheel spin in the cold