E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Incorrect fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, well, here's the problem. As we all know, gasoline engines pre-mix the fuel and air, inject it into the cylinders, compress it, then fire the spark plugs to cause combustion. Diesel engines do not, they inject air, compress the air, then inject the fuel at really high pressure at the exact moment combustion is required. Diesel, when roughly converted, is around 15-25 octane, gasoline is obviously between 87-100 octane, and the lower the octane, the lower the pressure needed to cause combustion. By adding a higher octane to a diesel you risk no combustion or late combustion.

So, from a purely mechanical aspect, you're not really risking any major damage to your car by doing this. I don't know how all of BMW's sensors fit into the equation, and I know for a fact that they will tell you that they all need to be replaced just because they want your money. But in all reality you should be fine just draining the fuel and replacing your filters.

If you had put diesel into a gasoline engine then you would have a huge problem, since the diesel would combust way before you reach full compression and then cause knocking in your engine and potentially destroy it.

My dad owns his own business and has about 8 diesel trucks (Dodges, Fords, and Internationals) which he lets his employees use, and on occasion they've put regular 87 octane gasoline into his trucks and as far as I know, it's only required him to drain the fuel and replace the filters. But then again, those vehicles don't have as much electrical nonsense as a BMW so he may be able to get away with it.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Members

I did the same thing whilst in Germany but drove for 15KM before I realised, see this post http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20342&hl=
The BMW mechanic merely drained the tank and refuelled the vehicle and I have had no problems since. He also stated that the warranty would not be effected, however I'd rather not have to test that statement.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

There is no way the unleaded fuel will have reached the fuel pump driving only 400 - 800 yards, the fuel filter bowl and lines would have had at least 0.5 litre of diesel left and no way would it cause $5000 worth of damage.

All the BMW dealership needs to do is drain the unleaded fuel out of the tank, change the fuel filter, fill with diesel and prime the system and your away. Maybe $200 work
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Contributors

I thought that draining would do the trick since the unlead did not reach the engine yet.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='267603' date='Apr 11 2006, 12:09 PM
I thought that draining would do the trick since the unlead did not reach the engine yet.
Does petrol 'float' on diesel (i.e. lower density)?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d saphire black, beige leather, 124 alloys, auto, wood trim, Advanced air con

They are adimant that they need to change all components within the fuel system, So with a potential huge bill, I contacted my Insurance company, who luckily will pay up, and all I need to do is pay the excess and the change in premium next year. So its with them at the moment, Ill let you know the final outcome when I get my machine back.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pedlar17' post='267635' date='Apr 11 2006, 02:07 PM
They are adimant that they need to change all components within the fuel system, So with a potential huge bill, I contacted my Insurance company, who luckily will pay up, and all I need to do is pay the excess and the change in premium next year. So its with them at the moment, Ill let you know the final outcome when I get my machine back.
Good result I think.. I was looking on the net at some other stuff about this and I think many people have tried to just drain the tank, but suffered probs later on. Unless you are selling the car soon and have a limited amount of consience about that, insurance is the way to go.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pedlar17' post='267635' date='Apr 11 2006, 02:07 PM
What insurer is this? I'm very surprised they'd pay...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I did this on our ML270cdi, had 1/4 tank left and put BP ultimate unleaded in (nearly the same colour nozzle as the ultimate diesel), realised after about 10 litres, filled the rest up with diesel and didn't even bother draining it, put a little aviation oil in to help lubricate it and it was fine.

My dad did it with his brand new S320cdi, had less than 300 miles on it, pulled into a BP station and filled it with Ultimate unleaded as well, BP actually paid for his to be sorted. In fact they were paying out for approx. 50 cars a day at the begining of last year as there insurance was covering it. They did however change the ultimate unleaded pump handle colour to Light green when that policy expired!!
On his Merc they drained it and replaced the fuel filters, they said that they would do that and then if there was any problems they would replace the everything else, but no point doing something that may not need doing, which is what BMW should be doing for you really.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='267666' date='Apr 11 2006, 02:58 PM
I did this on our ML270cdi, had 1/4 tank left and put BP ultimate unleaded in (nearly the same colour nozzle as the ultimate diesel), realised after about 10 litres, filled the rest up with diesel and didn't even bother draining it, put a little aviation oil in to help lubricate it and it was fine.

My dad did it with his brand new S320cdi, had less than 300 miles on it, pulled into a BP station and filled it with Ultimate unleaded as well, BP actually paid for his to be sorted. In fact they were paying out for approx. 50 cars a day at the begining of last year as there insurance was covering it. They did however change the ultimate unleaded pump handle colour to Light green when that policy expired!!
On his Merc they drained it and replaced the fuel filters, they said that they would do that and then if there was any problems they would replace the everything else, but no point doing something that may not need doing, which is what BMW should be doing for you really.

I THOUGHT this had to be you ..... I did a search earlier on this and found your post on a MB forum .....

Small world this internet thing

Quick Reply: Incorrect fuel